Very low flow of hot water in only one faucet

Old 03-08-13, 12:53 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very low flow of hot water in only one faucet

My advance appologies for not using proper names, but... I installed a Moen faucet in my kitchen sink about a year ago and it was working fine up until yesterday. It's one of those "joystick" type spickets which operate the both the cold and hot flow. While over on hot flow, cleaning paint brushes, the flow suddenly dropped to at least one eighth the original flow. Cold flow works fine.
All other faucets in the house work fine. I went under the sink and shut down both the cold and hot input valves, but here's the wierd part: the hot won't shut off (the cold shut down fine). In fact regardless of where I set the hot water valve (handle), it is the same dismal low flow. Could my valve be stuck in some low-flow-state regardless of how far I turn the handle? Now I have to go farther upstream to shut off the hot water. BTW: both of these valves under the sink are in-line valves with the input in line with the output and the valve handle coming in perpendicular to the line. (I guess a ball valve???) And another thing that happened as I attempted to shut down the hot water valve, it began leaking bad outside of the valve; so I tightened down on the packing nut until the dripping stopped. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My guess would be, since you have no cut off control is the washer in the stop valve has become dislodged and is not allowing you to shut it off, NOR is it allowing a full flow of water to go past it. You will have to shut the water off to the house and remove the cap on the stop valve and check it out and possibly put in a repair washer and screw.

Old 03-08-13, 05:49 PM
U
Thanks Chandler, by "cap on the stop valve", is that the oval handle I turn to shut the valve on and off? And if so, do I just unscrew that cap all the way or do I have to unscrew the packing nut? I've never done this stuff before, can you tell?

Old 03-08-13, 06:07 PM
O
I cannot tell from your post whether we are talking about a ball valve or a tap. When you turn it off, does it turn a full revolution or more or just 90 degrees?

My guess is we are talking about a tap and in your case, one where the internal washer (the one shutting off the water) has dissintegrated and is now clogging your line somewhere between that tap and your faucet. Since you are also experiencing a leak in the outside, I would say the other washer is also starting to give you problems.

My suggestion is to replace that with a new flexible line with a built in ball valve (90 degree turns). You may get lucky and find that the washer was in that line somewhere and is now disposed of. Unfortuneately it might also be in the incoming part of your faucet now. When you disconnect the line to the faucet you can take a look.

Old 03-09-13, 05:44 AM
Yes, remove the oval plastic cap and the nut under it where the packing is located. Once it is loose, you may have to replace the cap temporarily to complete the removal. You will be able to see down into the stop valve if what I described is your problem or not.

Old 03-20-13, 11:44 AM
U
Thanks OptsyEagle (and Chandler). You nailed it! It was a tap-valve who's rubber washer had dissintegrated and ended up blocking the hot-water input line to the faucet. I chased the wayward piece of washer out of the line with a guitar string (a low E...), and replaced the tap-valve with another. If I had read your post earlier, I would have gone with a ball-valve. Thank you, and Thank you Chandler for your spot-on help.

Old 03-21-13, 03:00 AM
Glad you were able to get it fixed, and nice of you to let us know we were of some help.