Building (Plumbing) Inspector wrong???

Old 03-08-13, 05:30 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building (Plumbing) Inspector wrong???

So I have spent the last 3 months of my life finishing my basement, Where I live when you call the city for a inspection they send out 4 inspectors at once and they go through everything. So far I have done pretty much everything myself. Today, Electrical passed, framing passed and saftey passed, however, the plumber upon arriving seemed angry just showing up. once downstairs, he noticed some of the floor was repoured, and I tried to explain that a cast pipe had rotted out and caused problems, so that was replaced, he then told me that everything I did was wrong and all needed to be tore out, including the concrete so he can see what is down there!!!

I guess I will start off by listing off the things he said was wrong.

1.) The Copper pipe (3/4") tees off into a 1/2" line for 5 feet then tees off to the shower and the sink. He told me that is unacceptable and should be 3/4" up to the last t before the sink and shower? I have seen several houses with just 1/2"!!!!

2.) He said the sink and toilet need to be vented straight up through the first floor and into the roof!... The toilet and sink are 4 feet away from the main stack that already goes up to the roof!

3.) The washer needs to be on 2" pvc not 1 1/2"??? its been this way for 20years with no problem!!!

4.) I need arresters on the washing machine or he will not pass inspection either!

5.) I need to break up the concrete and install a palmer valve where the sewer enters the house???

I can post pictures up if that would help?
Can He make me tear the concrete up? What happens if I don't?
I wonder if I could request a new inspector?

Name:  IMG_3843.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  32.1 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-13, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
If you're in a town like mine.....there is only one plumbing inspector. I don't think you can request another one.
Not a plumber.....just making some observations.

As to your questions:
1) That's pretty iffy
2) can't answer that one
3) he's right there
4) Arresters are a good idea anyway..... not sure about a code requirement
5) check valve may be required because of the basement improvement.

Did you already have the drain lines in the pour or did you just install them ?

It's tough......he's the AHJ and his word is law.

Let the other guys stop by and comment.

Old 03-08-13, 05:58 PM
R
Drain Lines were in already, however it was something that had been done obviously just a few years ago, and most likely without a permit. I bought the house as the owner had passed away, so no one to find out more answers there...

With the washer, I guess I just didn't realize that the old pipe that is 1 1/2" has to be changed because I'm working on other pipes in the area!... I understand he has to do his job, but some things frustrate the hell outta me!

Anyone know the answer to venting? Best and hopefully easiest way to vent everything in the picture?
The black pipe on the left side of the picture goes straight up to the roof vent... wouldn't everything in the basement (Toilet sink and tub) be vented trough there now?

Old 03-08-13, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Let me look at this a few minutes... I can help.... Be right back.

Old 03-08-13, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
1.) The Copper pipe (3/4") tees off into a 1/2" line for 5 feet then tees off to the shower and the sink. He told me that is unacceptable and should be 3/4" up to the last t before the sink and shower? I have seen several houses with just 1/2"!!!!

That I believe is true. Its a volume thing especially with the shower. It should be a 3/4 x 1/2 x 1/2 tee at the end or the 3/4. Then you can go 1/2" where you want.

As far as where it states that in the code I would need to find it. ( There are sticky's at the top of the forum with links to the plumbing codes.)

2.) He said the sink and toilet need to be vented straight up through the first floor and into the roof!... The toilet and sink are 4 feet away from the main stack that already goes up to the roof!

If you tied into the main stack, and other fixtures drain in that stack from above, then yes. That is a wet vent and not allowed by code. You need to vent the toilet, sink and tub. This vent will need to tie into the attic or through the roof.

( Note: This is the reason he probably will not budge on you busting up the cement... Its not piped properly under the slab...There is no way around it IMO. In a inspection process the plumbing needs to be seen before the cement is pourrd.

Now there are ways to do less work possibly. You may consider just removing that downstairs bath off the stack/main and install a sewer injector. Althogh you will still need to bust the cement, but possibly less.

3.) The washer needs to be on 2" pvc not 1 1/2"??? its been this way for 20years with no problem!!!

That is code... No way around it...sorry.

If you did not touch it then your grandfathered in....

4.) I need arresters on the washing machine or he will not pass inspection either!

Not sure about that one but may have to do with the 1/2 pipe and tees from above... You probably will get water hammer... Easy... Just make him happy...

5.) I need to break up the concrete and install a palmer valve where the sewer enters the house???
You sure he said palmer valve? He may be an old timer and meant backwater valve?

Are you on a septic?

Hope I helped some so far. The inspector is not really your enemy. he is stating these things for your protection.

I know its hard to fathom but its true. If you do not correct the venting issues you will siphon traps and can have deadly CO gas through out the home.

Oh and I cant see whats going on by that lone pic.....

Old 03-09-13, 06:33 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Unfortunately, 'the inspector is always right'. Even if he's wrong, you have to decide whether it's worth fighting the system.

Mike went through everything above, and I agree that most of the things he said are correct per national codes. The backwater valve is typically not required by national code, but often local amendments add the requirement due to topography and past experience with local sewer/septic systems.

As for breaking up the concrete, did you take any pictures of the pipe in the trenches? If not, I'd suggest in the future always taking pictures, either for things like this or 5 years from now when something goes awry and you may need to refer to how it's laid out. If you feel confident that it's correct, maybe you can make a drawing of how it's laid out and meet the inspector in his office (when maybe he's in a better mood) to see if he'll accept that. But unfortunately, he's under no requirement to agree to anything without seeing it.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-13, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
A possiblility is to get a video/camera inspection done. If you can show the line and proper wye/vents the inspector may accent that.

Go in from the toiler and look for a wye. Run the sink and tub. The water should come out that wye. Then you would just need to vent properly.

Old 06-10-13, 04:36 PM
U
Hi
Inspectors can be frustrating. I had my architect draw up my plumbing riser and he screwed it up a bit I failed because of my risers. I had asked what was code and he was pissed and told me its not his job to do my riser when all i asked is what was code, I knew i caught him in a bad mood. S i ask can any one tell me what is code? Ocean County NJ