Vent pipe leak?

Old 03-19-13, 02:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent pipe leak?

Hello,

I noticed water dripping next to my vent pipe today. I'm trying to track it down - here is what I know:

The house was built in 1967, single level with basement. The pipe goes straight up through the attic to the roof. No bends that I'm aware of beyond the point in the photos below. The water is dripping down through the cutout in the floor, impacting the metal band holding the pipe in place, then running down the side of the pipe.

Based on the way the water is dripping - could there be some connection or flange on the pipe that would be leaking? I would think it would just run down the side of the pipe...

We did have a significant blizzard yesterday, to the point that I couldn't see the pipe on the roof. It was covered in snow. That would explain the water, but I wouldn't think I should be seeing a leak regardless. I looked in the attic opening and didn't see any significant signs of water, but I didn't walk over to the pipe.

Any thoughts? This pipe is in the wall cavity directly behind the dishwasher, I'm thinking I'll need to pull the washer out and open up the wall to take a look.

Thanks!
Name:  IMG_20130319_140349_029.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  23.4 KBName:  IMG_20130319_140357_202.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  32.3 KBName:  IMG_20130319_140444_193.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  20.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-13, 03:22 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I know the roof is covered with snow, but I would start my investigation by examining the roof vent boot covers to see if they are damaged in anyway. This is a common source of water around vent stacks. If you have access to the attic and can get over to that area, go up there during the day and see if you can see any light coming through the rubber boot cover that is around the vent pipe at the roof line.