Peculiar drainage issue in old duplex

Old 03-21-13, 01:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peculiar drainage issue in old duplex

So,

There was a private suite built into the basement with a kitchenette. It has a big single sink in it that fills up with water anytime the upstairs dishwasher runs or when we run the upstair faucet too long.

Today the upstairs sink backed up without the downstairs sink overflowing, which is curious to me because water runs the path of least resistance. But perhaps there are some physics going on there that I don't understanding, or most likely just plumbing.

But I figure the issue is below the downstairs sink. That there's a clog in the P-trap or somewhere between the drain of the downstairs sink, and where it leaves the house. So I took a plunger to it, but with no result. I was recommended to dismantle it because its probably a build of grease from various different products built up. Thats a picture of the plumbing underneath the downstairs troubled sink, for reference.

Are there any products or home remedies to pour down the drain?

What do you think, does that sound right? Whats the best advice out there? And can anyone point me in the direction of some good instructional video or read on how to do this job? Tools, parts?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-13, 01:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The first problem leads me to believe they tied into the drain for the sink upstairs when they put this one in. The second problem leads me to believe you have a clog above that tie-in.

Old 03-21-13, 02:55 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I think that you have two partial blockages; one downstream of the lower sink and the other between the upper sink and the lower sink. It is quite likely that the intervening piping (in the wall) is galvanized steel and has severely corroded internally and is a factor in the partial blockages. If the basement kitchenette was built without permits you may also have a significant design flaw in the piping and venting.

Old 03-21-13, 03:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So, I've got to use a snake? or are their products I can use?

Old 03-21-13, 04:11 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I do not recommend any harsh chemicals in the drains. If they don't work then whoever has to open the drains is then exposed to the chemicals.

Snake might work, depending on exactly what the blockage is. If it is severely corroded steel piping it is possible nothing will work but replacement.

Bio Clean is an enzyme cleaner that many professional plumbers recommend to be used periodically to clean out organic blockages such as hair and grease. It doesn't work fast, more like a preventative measure rather than a cleaning after the fact type of product. It IS fairly expensive but it might help significantly after you are able to get the drain running even a little.

Amazon.com: Bio-clean Drain Septic Bacteria: Home & Kitchen