Help with leaking shut-off valve

Old 03-22-13, 09:37 AM
Help with leaking shut-off valve

Hi, I hope you guys can help me. Under the kitchen sink, the shut-off valve for the cold water is leaking. The water is coming from the top of the nut on the top of the valve, where the top feed line goes in to meet the valve. The nut is already fully tightened and can't be tightened anymore. I really don't know what to do and can't really afford a plumber right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-13, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you have a compression type shut off valve but with a picture of it we are sort of guessing.

Can you shoot us a picture.

Old 04-07-13, 11:05 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I've included a picture of the valve. It's leaking out of the top of the nut. Thank you so much for any help you can give me, I've been fighting with this for a few weeks now.

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
That's a dual compression stop valve. The bottom compression fitting is for 1/2" copper and the top compression fitting is set up for 3/8" copper.

It can be replaced but there is a ferrule on each side of the valve that will be permanently attached to the copper pipe. You would need to pick up an inch or so of slack pipe to put on the new ferrules.

Have you tried tightening the nut. It usually just takes a slight turn.

Old 04-08-13, 07:55 AM
You may be able to just change a washer in it. You would need to shut off the main water and unscrew it and see. You also might have to buy the entire tap assembly just to steal a washer from it to replace into your own. I think the entire assembly was no more then $5 to $10. Those washers are not always available on their own.

I have done this once with a tap that I had, that was identical to yours. I don't recall which washer was leaking but since the water was coming to the outside of the tap, I have to assume it was the same washer (the other washer in those seals the internal shut off).

Old 04-10-13, 03:15 PM
Optsy - I think not. He says the leak is coming at the 3/8" side. Since it's a compression fitting, there would be no washer there.