How would you reconstruct this bypass valve?

Old 03-22-13, 09:52 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How would you reconstruct this bypass valve?

I want to recreate this old bypass valve with ball valves (it has thread-less gate valves). Currently working on my soldering skills before I do this, but before I buy everything, I just want to make sure i have this right:

I need to solder a copper T on either side, then a piece of pipe going horizontally from each copper T to a ball valve in the middle, then another piece of copper going down vertically from each T, then a slip ball valve down from each of those, then a piece of threaded copper down from each of those. Is that right?

Next question: does a male threaded ball valve exist? If so, I could just solder that on to the piece of vertical pipe and eliminate the last step of soldering on the threaded piece of copper. But since I have no idea what I'm talking about, it may or may not be better to just do what I originally said (if a male threaded ball valve even exists :P).

Last question: should I first solder this all together and then solder each side to the two pipes? Or solder it together piece by piece?

Ok, thanks for reading...go easy on me!

Old 03-22-13, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Cut the tees out and start over with all new fittings. Put it all together then solder.

What is this for? Water treatment?

Old 03-22-13, 10:27 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I want to buy a water softener and noticed that those valves aren't threaded. Then multiple people told me if I'm just going to solder in threaded ends I might as well just reconstruct it using ball valves instead of 27 year old gate valves.

Old 03-22-13, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Depending on what model softner you get it may be somewhat cheaper to buy thier bypass valve.....

You would only need to solder male or female adapters off the in and out lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: