Pex-A (uponor) to Pex-B - (Vanguard)

Old 03-23-13, 11:54 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pex-A (uponor) to Pex-B - (Vanguard)

My house is 1-storey with full basement, and I'm trying to wrap up plumbing/electrical and sheetrock the basement ceiling.

I had a plumber rip out all the copper and put in PEX. I had no knowledge of PEX and now I've done some homework. I would like some opinions of whether his basic installation is okay or if I should consider redoing some of it.

First, its all Pex-B Vanguard. I can't operate hand tools (arthritis) and I bought the Milwaukee ProPex tool. But I find I need a crimp tool too, at least to tie in.

I can use NPT adaptors to get from Vanguard to Uponor? Or just put a crimp on the Uponor pex tubing and attach it to Vanguard system fitting, and use uponor from then out?

Old 03-23-13, 12:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sizing of PEX installation: is it appropriate?

So this is regarding the PEX-B (Vanguard) plumbing job. The house is 1600 sq ft. (main) with full basement. Upstairs I have one full bath (2 sinks, toilet, shower, and separate jetted tub). Kitchen sink + dishwasher + icemaker cutoff (all under kitchen sink) + cut-off valve for back yard hose bib.

Basement, 75 ga. hot water heater, Laundry Sink, Washer hookup, 3/4 Bath: Shower, toilet, one sink. There is room to enlarge the bathroom, and it is on the water wall.

Main water comes in from meter to cutoff valve, and tee to underground irrigation, another tee to front hose bib. I think this is all 3/4".

Main cold water comes in on 3/4" pex. 3/4 to 1/2" tee when we go by the kitchen, and onto the furnace/HW heater room.

Input and output to the rather large HW heater is only 1/2" pex/sweat. There is a steam valve thing on the Hot pipe. There is a threaded pipe coming on the top of the HW heater, it looks big, like 1". There is a copper connector and pipe dope, and it steps down right away to 1/2" or 3/4. After the steam valve, it is all 1/2" pex, to all the other downstream hot water. Many tees and branches, all 1/2".

One big worry, on the copper line coming out of the HW heater, there is one of those nasty pipe-piercing things, tied to a humidifier. The HW heater and furnace were done by HVAC company so they put that thing in.

So my questions:

3/4" main cold water - appropriate for this size home?

1/2" hot water pex - Is this okay? At least there is not a lot of hot water sitting around in high diameter tubing.

Short term plan: I'm going to relocate a laundry sink and washer panel, and use Pro-pex (uponon) since I have the tool and it looks like a better system. I am scared of making those crimp connections properly, but the Milwaukee propex tool seems idiot-proof. I'll just tie into the Pex-B using a crimp; or I could use PexA -> NPT adaptor <-> NPT adaptor -> pex B. (see my previous question.

Our impression of using the plumbing:

Water pressure in the showers seems acceptable. Complaints from the Queen about low pressure at the kitchen sink.

Water pressure at the rear-hose bib is too low to work my pressure washer. I can use it on the front-hose bib, in the driveway, which is not awful.

I had a plumbing inspection and pressure test of the new plumbing, it passed and the permit is on the books. All the other homeowner crap was done off permit.

As homeowner/occupant I can pull plumbing permits for my own house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: