Hot water heater tied into cooper pipes tied into galvanized that burst!

Old 03-23-13, 06:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hot water heater tied into cooper pipes tied into galvanized that burst!

I broke PVC pipe on exterior spicket. Easy enough, shut off main water and fixed....all good. Next am, woke up to water coming up through pavers about 6 feet away from spicket. Dug out pavers....after much much digging (like 6 feet down and 6 feet under concrete foundation of house in Florida, discovered leak actually coming from water heater pipe that sends hot water to rest of house. The problem is (after cutting 4 holes into walls, the cooper pipe that leads to all water outlets turns into galvanized piping....at end of that first pipe, completely broke....I talked to 2 plumbers who are telling me they can only put a temp clamp because threading on galvanized. I dont have the money to replace all the pipes....and they are telling me I cannot repair galvanized - it has to be replaced....why is it that the cooper pipes were able to be tied into galvanized....I am a female who can fix ALOT of things in this house, but this is the toughest challenge to date....the digging alone is scarry! Any suggestions? The "loops" are water heater to kitchen sink to 1st bathroom then 2nd bathroom (which are about 40 feet away-big house)....Please!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-13, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little confused here. Why is your hot water pipe 6' underground and away from your house.
Where is the water heater located ?

Old 03-23-13, 07:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Probably that galvanized pipe is going to the outside spigot, maybe you are tracing it wrong. Copper is a bit flimsy to run through a slab so that is likely why it is galvanized. How did it end up with PVC? sounds like a previous repair.