Need help with Water Pump Vibration

Old 03-25-13, 11:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with Water Pump Vibration

I re-plumbed my house the other weekend and ran into an issue. The goal was to relocate the pump (Goulds 3/4 HP Jet), Replace the water logged bladder tank, and add a whole house filter and a bunch of valves so i could isolate, prime, and prevent flooding while away on vacation. Everything went well except the pump is loud, and the vibration is even louder. I had the motor in the pump rebuilt when I started the project because it was apart and that was the time to do it. Its set on a concrete block on a dirt floor. It has 10 layers of EPDM roofing membrane under it as a cushion. I plan to build a large sound proof box around it to eliminate the sound. The copper pipes coming out of it vibrate bad and it transfers to the whole house. It shakes the floor right above the pump. Its solid copper out of the pump. I would like to put in some type of flexible joint between the pump and tank. I cant find anything that seems like it would work. Would a Fernco work? I feel like a 3/4 Fernco coupling wouldn"t stand up to the 60 PSI the pump puts out. What's your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-13, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
Solid copper directly out of the pump transmits an incredible amount of noise. Usually PVC is used and that is somewhat quieter.

They make flex lines that are used on hot water heaters. 3/4" or 1" would work.

The link below has one type of flex hose. There are different styles and different end fittings available for most applications.

Lead-Free Brass Supply Line Hose

They also make a copper flex line but I'm not sure how quiet that would be.

Old 03-25-13, 01:04 PM
My pump just uses plastic barb fittings with plastic water hose fastened with hose clamps (the type with the slotted 5/16" nut that tighten it down). I am sure you can rig the other barbed end to either screw into whatever is going into your tank or sharkbite it or whatever.

Old 03-25-13, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
Is this more a noise issue or are you feeling vibrations or seeing the pump shaking? You (Biglurr) say you had the motor rebuilt since you had the pump disassembled. A pump hard piped can transmit a lot of noise but I'm wondering if the pump or motor is out of balance.

Old 03-26-13, 05:54 AM
That hot water line is exactly what I am looking for. That's going on tonight. I am not a fan of sharkbite fittings but it they do seem to work fine. I just feel like its a short cut. Nothing beats a good old fashion sweat fitting.

Old 03-26-13, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
That link was to show the style of hose. They are also available without the sharkbite fittings.