Low Water Pressure

Old 03-27-13, 01:04 PM
Low Water Pressure

Hello, I have an odd situation and I am not sure this is the correct forum to post in. I have a whirlpool top load washing machine from about 2006 and when starting a load of wash the tub starts to fill normally and then the water pressure slowly goes down. If i turn on the faucet in the adjacent kitchen the water coming out of that faucet is also very low. When the tub is done filling the water pressure goes back to normal. If i turn on 2 faucets in the house the pressure seems fine. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-13, 01:20 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
What material is the piping serving the kitchen and laundry room? What size is it and how old? Do you have city water or a well? Hard or soft water?

Old 03-27-13, 01:25 PM
the house was built in 2006 and is all copper. We have hard water but also have a water softener. The main water line is either 1" or 3/4" (i am pretty sure 1") and then gets reduced to 1/2" at the washing machine.
We are on city water.
Thanks

Old 03-27-13, 01:59 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Is this happening everywhere in your house or just the fixtures you mentioned?

It sounds like there is an obstruction somewhere in the water line. Now is to determine where the problem may lie.

Old 03-27-13, 02:01 PM
the low water pressure is on any fixture while the washing machine is filling only. When the washing machine is done filling the pressure is ok. I just checked the pressure at the hose bib outside (washing machine not filling) and it is 70psi

Old 03-27-13, 02:18 PM
Does you water supply piping go to the kitchen first and then to the washer? What is the size of the pipe going to the kitchen? Half-inch copper is approximately 5/8 inch outside diameter. Are there any isolation valves in this piping other than the ones at the faucets themselves? Are the isolation valves at the kitchen faucet fully open? What water pressure does your gauge read when the washing machine is filling?

Old 03-27-13, 02:25 PM
while the washing machine is filling the pressure at the hose bib drops to 22.5psi.
i really have no idea what an isolation valve is.
Based on the layout of the house i would guess the water goes to the kitchen faucet and then the washer
thanks

Old 03-27-13, 02:38 PM
An isolation valve in my first usage is a valve in a section of pipe that shuts off the water to more than one fixture. In my second usage it is a valve that shuts off the water to a single fixture.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve near your incoming water main shut off valve? It would look similar to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10722[/ATTACH] (Image courtesy of Plumbers surplus.com)

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-13, 02:40 PM
I do have a PRV just after the main feed from the street/city.
Each fixture has their own valves to turn off water.
thanks

Old 03-27-13, 02:49 PM
My first impression is that the strainer on the pressure reducing valve is partially plugged. Not all PRVs have a strainer but many do. You need to turn off the main water supply valve before opening this strainer.

If it is not the strainer then it is either a stuck PRV or an incorrectly adjusted PRV. If it has not always been a problem then incorrect adjustment is not likely.

Old 03-27-13, 02:50 PM
why would the pressure drop so much when filling the washing machine only and not having more than one fixture on?
Thanks

Old 03-27-13, 02:53 PM
By Federal law faucets are limited to (if I remember correctly) 1-1/2 gallons per minute flow, bathtub fillers not being covered. The washing machine can take as much as 10 gallons per minute.