Leak between meter and house

Old 03-28-13, 11:41 AM
Leak between meter and house

Just looking for advice on how to proceed. Not a major leak. Currently have water turned off. House built in late 60's.

Advice on having services marked, locating leak, getting plumber, replacing galvanized pipe if installed, anything else related.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Service marking is free...there is a toll free nationwide number (I think it's 811) and you probably have a local number as well...check your utility bills.

Locating leak...look for wet areas, but it will involve a lot of digging and the whole line should probably be replaced anyway, unless it's just at a fitting.

Finding plumber...call several companies and ask them to come take a look.

If galv pipe is there...it will likely be replaced with a poly tubing or possibly copper.

Not a lot you can do to minimize the expense unless you really like to use a shovel. Most plumbers would probably dig at the meter and the house...abandon the old line and install new.

Not a Pro here...just what I've learned.

Old 03-28-13, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Is the service galvanized?

They have trench-less technology. worst case they would need to trench. Replace the line with poly pipe. Better off replace the whole service. Min 3/4 but I would replace with 1" since the price is not that different.

Depending on distance could be from $2500 to $5000.... NJ prices. You location may vary.

Old 03-28-13, 10:42 PM
Very well, thanks for your quick/insightful responses -- makes total sense.

The water utility found the connection between their pipes and mine, and it appears [of course] that the leak is in my piping. Currently have the water off and occasionally turn on when needed so, luckily, it is not an emergency [just an inconvenience]. Will need to schedule some time to dig. The utility guy recommended Pex [sp?] poly piping, does that sound correct?

I know that this pipe runs right past the electrical feed because a couple of years ago one of our [electric] phases quit and the spot where that was repaired was in the same area as this leak [coincidence?].

I am a bit apprehensive about digging around the electrical, so I am wondering if it will be above or below the water pipe and/or would it be in pipe/conduit?

Old 03-29-13, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Electrical will be below the water line most likely. Call 811 and have it located first, as Vic suggested.

Old 03-29-13, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
PEX and Poly are two different types of plastic pipe. Both are rated for underground use, so either should be fine. Poly (black plastic pipe, also called PE pipe) is in my opinion the preferred method because it's typically cheaper and has a slightly larger inner diameter than PEX.

Be sure to check the markings on the pipe. It should say 160psi and have the NSF logo/marking on it stating that it's safe for drinking water. They do sell 80psi pipe for irrigation use, and while it should be fine, I wouldn't want to risk it for a few dollars.

Old 03-29-13, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
In my area digging is less expensive and faster than no dig methods of running a new line. There simply is nobody in the area that does trenchless while there are a dozen+ in town with a backhoe or track hoe that can dig the trench, install the line and backfill in half a day.

If you are located in the city limit check with your Building Inspections Dept. You may need a permit and work inspected & approved before you can back fill. In my area there are a couple things they primarily look for: proper depth of the pipe, a conduit where the pipe passes through a basement or foundation wall and a pressure reducing valve.

Old 03-29-13, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Additionally tracer wire is now required by code...Well at least on my locale it is.