THermal expansion

Old 03-29-13, 05:40 AM
THermal expansion

I am installing a water system in my cottage it will be supplied by a shallow well and jet pump with a pressure tank. Will I need a cold water inlet pressure valve to compensate for Thermal expansion or not. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 09:26 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Generally a welly system with a pump will have a pressure switch and a pressure tank. Neither really have anything to do with thermal expansion. The pressure switch tells the pump when to turn off and on. The pressure tank helps minimize the number of times the pump turn on and off so it's not quickly cycling on & off.

Old 03-29-13, 10:43 AM
Not sure what thermal expansion you are concerned about but the answer will be no. If you haven't already acquired it, try to get the largest pressure tank your space will allow. This will reduce the amount of times your pump will need to cycle on and it will extend the pumps life.

Old 03-29-13, 01:13 PM
okay this has to do with the water heater and Thermal expansion. In my home on street supply there is a pressure relief valve on the cold water inlet pipe just before the Hot Water tank. I wonder if I needed this type of thing in my cottage system where it is a well and pump/pressure tank.

Old 03-30-13, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
PRV valves are not typically used with a well and pump. They are most often used with city water where you don't have control over the pressure of the water the city supplies.

A pressure tank historically has not been used with water heaters especially when fed from a pump & well but they are becoming more common and even required in some areas. First I would check with the Building Inspections Dept that has jurisdiction over your cottage. They will be able to tell you if a pressure tank is required or not.

Old 03-31-13, 04:20 AM
Thanks Pilot . I did find some info in the book that came with my new water heater. Apparently there are open and closed water systems, a closed system having a check valve in the cold water feed and an open system that does not. It recommends a pressure relief valve or an expansion tank for the closed system. I will not bother with a valve .Thank you for your replies.

Old 03-31-13, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
One sign of thermal expansion problem is continued or reoccurring leaking/dripping from the safety valve of the water heater. So, if you do have trouble with the valve leaking on your new heater you can think about adding the expansion tank. I'm on a well with the pressure varying between 30 and 50 psi and I have a electric and gas water heater. Neither has had any thermal expansion trouble in the 11+ years I've had the house.