How to prevent frozen pipes for outdoor shower

Old 04-01-13, 07:07 AM
How to prevent frozen pipes for outdoor shower

Each fall I turn off the water in my vacation home and open up all the faucets. I leave the temperature inside the house at 50 degrees. And each spring, when I turn the water back on, I find that the pipes in my outdoor shower have cracked. HELP!
My plumber simple replaces the pipes but this is an expensive fix each year.

Thanks!
Caron

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-13, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
It depends on how that shower is plumbed. If it has a diverter knob it is possible for water to be trapped in the pipe leading up to the shower head. Putting the diverter knob in the middle position so the vertical pipe can drain usually takes care of the problem.

Another option is to replace the outdoor piping with PEX. It can withstand freezing without damage though you do have to be careful because the faucet and shower head still cannot take water freezing inside them.

Finally, you could have the plumber install drain valves or spigots on your out door shower. You open them at the end of the season to drain the water out of the outdoor piping.

Old 04-01-13, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Have the house winterized properly. You use a compressor to blow the lines out and antifreeze in the toilets and traps.

Most plumbers guarantee no leaks, and if there are any they get fixed at no charge.

Typically we charged around $400 for this service here in NJ. Just giving you a base line for pricing...Your pricing may vary in your area.