Can I hammer a water line ten feet, from a basement to the curb?

Old 03-30-13, 04:50 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I hammer a water line ten feet, from a basement to the curb?

I need to replace a water line coming into my house. The house sits less than ten feet from the curb, the water line is a straight shot. I will be replacing the sidewalk so this seems like the right time to do the work. Is it possible to hammer a pipe through the basement wall (stone, old mortar, easy to remove a rock and repair) straight to the water line tie-in at the main? If possible, how do you do this and what materials are used? I will have to trench under a porch otherwise.

Old 03-30-13, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Do you have a curb key out there? Meter? Best approach if so is with a swedge. Dig a hole at the curb stop and disconnect the line. Disconnect the line in the home. Then run the cable through the old pipe and connect new pipe to end of swedger.

Then pull the cable with car or truck. Hook to secure area like frame or tow hook.

Connect both ends of new pipe and cover hole.....

Water-Line Slitter with 75 ft | Spartan Tool

Last edited by lawrosa; 03-30-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-30-13, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Another pretty impressive tool Mike. I looked over the specs.... it doesn't say if that can slit any pipe or which type it can.

Old 03-30-13, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
It slits poly and copper pretty good. With galv pipe typically the whole pipe pulls out.

Here is my disaster when I nicked the curb key and in turn made the old 100 year old main in the street leak.

This was galv pipe/line we pulled out with a hummer. This pics are not in order. I started by myself and it turned into a nightmare. One of my best screw ups.

So to the OP....Anything can happen.....

<embed width="480" height="360" src="http://pic2.pbsrc.com/flash/rss_slideshow.swf" flashvars="rssFeed=http:%2F%2Ffeed1225.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fee391%2Flawrosa%2FWater%2520service%2Ffeed.rss" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" />

Old 03-30-13, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,953 Upvotes on 3,546 Posts
Some great pictures. Your nightmare etched in stone.

I like the "there she blows" picture with the geyser coming out of the trench.
I see the pump at your site and the trench full of water

I helped a friend replace a water main. Luckily it was in sand with not much leakage. A fairly clean job.

Old 03-31-13, 08:24 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Some great pictures. Your nightmare etched in stone.
Indeedie!

How highs the water mamma? Six feet high and risin'

Old 04-01-13, 04:37 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I live in Ca so this may not apply. I have installed irrigation pipes under sidewalks and driveways using PVC. I read this somewhere and it works. They have a nozzle that you glue on one end and a hose adapter you glue on the other end. Turn the water on and push the pipe through.
Like hydraulic mining. The Water blast its way through. I'm sure you could rig up some fittings to do it. Once you get the pipe in place you then remove your old connections and hook up the new one.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: