Watertight caulk for temporay fix to sink faucet leak ?

Old 04-01-13, 08:27 PM
Watertight caulk for temporay fix to sink faucet leak ?

I have a very old house with ancient plumbing in one bathroom, that does not get used. It has an ancient porcelain sink, with faucets that have a flat disc that sits on the top flat surface of the sink. There is no way to turn off the water to the faucets without turning off the water to the whole house. A slow leak has developed between the bottom of the faucet and the top surface of the sink. I would like to temporarily stop the leak by applying some caulking to the edge of the bottom of the faucet, where it lies flat against the top of the sink. (The piping to the sink looks old and fragile enough that it might break, if I attempted to remove the faucet and replace it.) The whole bathroom should be replumbed, but for a temporary fix, what kind of caulking can I apply that will hold up against whatever water pressure is forcing the water out from under the faucet? I can turn off the water for the whole house for a day or so, until the newly applied caulk can dry, but want to wait on major replacement until I can have the bathroom replumbed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-13, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

A slow leak has developed between the bottom of the faucet and the top surface of the sink.
You're saying that water is squeezing out between the faucet and the sink.

Sealant isn't going to help you. If you put sealant at the base of the faucet where it meets the sink.... and the water can no longer come out there.....it will be forced to come out somewhere else. That somewhere else will probably be right into the vanity or under the sink.

Old 04-02-13, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would spend a few dollars and install stop valves under the sink with the water turned off to the house. That way, you can return water to the rest of the house and exclude the water from this sink alone. You can make repairs as needed, when appropriate. You will need the stop valves eventually, so why not do it right, and now?

As PJ said, no caulk or sealant can stop what you are describing.