type of pipe allow for water main in Northern CA?

Old 04-02-13, 12:46 AM
Question type of pipe allow for water main in Northern CA?

I am replacing a section of cast iron sewer pipe and add a clean out before concrete will be poured in a week, already dug up the trench and found the sewer line, the incoming water line is very close to the sewer line and it's 1" galvanize, reduced down to 3/4" copper before entering the raised foundation. While I am at it with the sewer line I was thinking to replace the old water line as well, house is 50+ yrs old. From the meter to the entry point of the foundation is about 50'.

I would like to know which type of pipe is allow, I know flexible copper would be the best however, it is the most expensive type compared to pex or polyethylene.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-13, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Regardless of price I would still pick black poly pipe over copper. Just make sure you get the 160 psi rated which has a thicker wall to better resist rock punctures. PEX is also a good choice though it's more expensive than black poly.

Old 04-02-13, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
I would also recommend black poly (PE) pipe. It's allowable practically everywhere as far as I know, though definitely check with your local building department first. California has a slew of different rules from the rest of the US, so it's better to find out before you bury it.

I agree, replace it now, the galvanized is reaching it's end of life.

Old 04-02-13, 04:44 PM
Thanks you for these replies, I checked with a few locals plumbing store but no one is carrying the black Polyethylene rated for main supply only for sprinklers. Home Depot and Lowes don't have it in the store either.

I found it on Grainger, let me know if this is the right product? Also, any suggestion for the right coupling to the copper pipe?

Thanks

ENDOT Pipe, Plastic, 1 In - PEX Tubing - 6MP21|SIDR-9-160-16 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 04-02-13, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
Looks correct, but it makes me worry a bit that no local plumbing stores carry it. It seems that they would know what's code acceptable. The fact that they don't have it in stock makes me think that it's not acceptable in your area.

Did they mention what's recommended instead?

Old 04-02-13, 10:40 PM
They carries PEX, cpvc and copper.

Old 04-03-13, 04:40 AM
I find it odd that neither Home Depot or Lowes stocks the PE pipe. Both do where I live. But I'm sure you could special order it. You could probably order it online and have it delivered to the store for you to pick up.

Old 04-03-13, 07:31 AM
Home Depot carry this one for order online, not in stock any where close to me. Advanced Drainage Systems 1 in. x 100 ft. Polyethylene 160 PSI NSF Pipe-2-1160100 at The Home Depot

Old 04-03-13, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
It's such a commonly used pipe in the rest of the country there must be a reason it's not stocked in your store. I would make a quick call to your Inspections Dept. and verify if it is permissible in your area.

Old 04-03-13, 11:37 AM
The building department replied to my question and said approved materials for water service line are copper type l, m, and k, pe, pvc and PEX if installed per note 3 of table 6-4 of the California Plumbing Code 2010 Edition.

Old 04-03-13, 01:05 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
What a lousy answer! The California plumbing code is 537 pages long in a slow-loading pdf format. Maybe this will take you to page 169 where section 604 begins.

https://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/...sc.2010.05.pdf

It looks to me as if type PE piping is acceptable as long as it meets certain requirements. Reading this crap makes me ill. Why they couldn't just say yes or no really riles me.