IKEA 1-1/4 Tailpiece Extension??

Old 04-02-13, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
IKEA 1-1/4 Tailpiece Extension??

I discovered that the IKEA supplied flanged 1-1/4 tailpiece isn't exactly 1-1/4. It must be some metric approximation and is too large to slip into a std. tailpiece extension. Apparently, no one makes a true 1-1/4 plastic flanged tailpiece. Someone out there must have encountered this before and figured a solution. I could get from here to there with a 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 Fernco, but they seem sized to schedule 40 rather than the thinwall under sink tubing.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-13, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And here, ladies and gents is why you don't buy a sink from Ikea. People always encounter problems with their drain plumbing. You can probably guess what my proposed solution is.

Old 04-04-13, 02:42 PM
Unhappy

I share your opinion and advise people not to buy foreign plumbing stuff. If it comes on a boat don't buy it. I realize that most American brands are made in china, but at least the dimensions are US. I still have not found a solution to this one.

Old 04-04-13, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
Can you replace the sink drain with something from your local home center? That would get you to standard US dimensions for now and future repairs.

---
When I was in Istanbul I saw some of the coolest cast bronze hose bibs I had ever seen and they were cheap. I had one in my hand and was haggling my wife asked "are their hoses like ours". Then it hit me that this thing might not be 3/4 NPT.

Old 04-05-13, 07:14 AM
Replacing the entire drain assembly might be a solution. However, when you start modifying, you discover the unintended consequences. The Ikea has no pop up assembly, as is std on most US lavs. The drain has a stopper that you grasp and pull up or push down. Therefore, unless I can find a similar design, I wouldn't have any stopper at all. I guess that wouldn't be any worse than those designer lavs that sit on top of the counter with no overflows or stoppers.

Old 04-05-13, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
They do make pop-up drains. Here is one I quickly found online. I'm sure there are many others you could choose from.

Old 04-12-13, 05:42 PM
Close out

I appreciate all the tips. In the end I sorted thru my plastic tailpiece extensions and found that they are not identical in diameter. Found one that was slightly larger and could force it without splitting the female hub. You must use a neoprene slip washer, as a nylon one has no chance of fitting the oversize IKEA tail piece. Message: by US name brands.

Old 02-12-14, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry to reopen, but I'm sure others still have this problem...

I had the same problem -- my drain was a few inches lower than the IKEA product would allow. After discovering that a 1-1/4" extension tube would not fit the IKEA tube, I did an internet search and came across this thread. I was disappointed to see most people didn't offer anything productive to a legitimate question.

My solution: two hose clamps and a length of vinyl tubing. Cut the IKEA down-tube in half, heat the tubing in hot water and slip it over at the cut. If you don't want to use vinyl tubing a section of 1-1/4" tube and two no-hub couplings.

Note all the usable space below the sink that would not exist if you used a traditional American drain. If your plumber rejects a product because he or she can't get the pipes to fit, find a plumber that can think a little harder.

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-14, 03:52 AM
Group Moderator
Keep in mind that a good plumber will comply with the plumbing building codes and clear vinyl tubing and hose clamps would not pass an inspection.

Old 02-13-14, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
But a Fernco might comply.