Advice needed -new kerdi drain with pre existing drain hole in subfloor

Old 04-06-13, 07:34 PM
Advice needed -new kerdi drain with pre existing drain hole in subfloor

Any help/advice would be much appreciated....

Pls see pic.....

My dilemma is:

1. Floor is 32" x 35" -going to use kerdi shower pan so there will be a diff in height of pan after cuts-do you think it's significant enuf to worry about it?

2. The pre existing hole in floor is square and about 4 1/4" square- is the fact it's square and not round like the kerdi template going to be a problem?

3. The hole is off center by about an inch horizontally and about 1/2" vertically. (Ignore what looks like a line next to the level-that's a seam. )

-if I try to center it then the hole will be bigger than the allowed 5" and just plain messy.

I know some will say do a mud pan but I've already committed.

What are your suggestions?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-13, 07:31 AM
Nobody? 71 views and nobody can help me?

Old 04-07-13, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
I'd guess that no plumbers were in here since you posted. Saturday night and Sunday morning they may have other things to do, since everyone volunteers their time here.
Perhaps you could have hired a plumber to come to your house during the night?

Old 04-07-13, 08:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure I'd consider myself a plumber... but I know I was enjoying a Saturday night in bed

1. Floor is 32" x 35" -going to use kerdi shower pan so there will be a diff in height of pan after cuts-do you think it's significant enuf to worry about it?
In other words, the drain which is typically centered in the pan you got, will now be off-center? Plumbing/drainage-wise it won't be an issue. From a tiling perspective, you'll probably want to go with smaller tiles as large ones will highlight the off-centeredness of it. But even so, I've seen showers with off-center drains and they don't look bad in my opinion.

2. The pre existing hole in floor is square and about 4 1/4" square- is the fact it's square and not round like the kerdi template going to be a problem?
Nope, the Kerdi system allows for the hole to in the subfloor to be a bit larger than the pipe. The sealing system is between the Kerdi drain and the Kerdi lining, the subfloor is just there to hold the whole thing up.

3. The hole is off center by about an inch horizontally and about 1/2" vertically. (Ignore what looks like a line next to the level-that's a seam. )
-if I try to center it then the hole will be bigger than the allowed 5" and just plain messy.
Now I'm a bit confused. I thought the hole was way off center side to side. It's only 1/2" off-center front to back?

Since it doesn't look like you have the piping installed yet, I would consider drilling a 3" hole where you want the drain to be, and then patching that hole with a small square of plywood and some short 2x4s underneath. Filling that small hole with ply will provide a bit more structure, and you'll have the drain exactly where you want it.

Or maybe I'm missing something....

Old 04-07-13, 09:23 AM
Lol, my apologies...I did only post this question let last night. I guess when i am immersed in a project that needs to get done ASAP I lose my sense of time

Thanks for response. Your last statement was correct. The existing hole is off only slightly on both axis from true center of floor. The long black line is center along that axis and other is marked by a small tick with #16 written next to it..

My first ? Was really re the tiling aspect....whether the resulting difference in height of kerdi pan after cuts would be significant enough to worry bout tiling...

I was planning on using 12x24's....

Old 04-07-13, 11:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cutting the base equally from each side would have been ideal, but you have it done, so it's fine. NOW to your really big problem. Using 12 x 24 tiles on a shower floor ??? Unless this shower is the size of a football field, I wouldn't consider using this size of tile. 2x2 tiles work great, as you have to figure in slope digression on your grout lines as you go. 12 x 24 tiles won't allow for that.

Old 04-07-13, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is inside the shower and I assume you will have a curb between the shower and the main floor area. Add an additional layer of 3/4" plywood to your shower floor area and cut out the drain opening that fits your needs exactly. The curb will mask your height differential and nobody will notice.

Old 04-07-13, 02:41 PM
The 12x24 are for the walls not floor.

I thought of putting another sheet of plywood but worried bout losing any height. But we are only talking + 1/2"....

Old 04-07-13, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Czizzi, I like your idea of another layer of ply. It'll give you a nice strong base and you can put the drain exactly where you need it.

Old 04-08-13, 10:19 AM
Spoke with a schluter rep just now re different tiles etc and i mentioned the square hole i have in my subfloor...she told me to go buy a square-to-round rubber gasket so that the drain flange will be snug with subfloor....

what you make of this??

Old 04-08-13, 04:50 PM
Spoke to different rep now and he didn't know what the other rep was thinking...says wont be a problem.