Gas regulator installation

Old 04-08-13, 10:00 AM
Gas regulator installation

Hello

I have a 2psi system currently that runs from the meter with 1/2in copper tubing into 1/2in black pipe and then to a maxitrol 325-3 regulator. From there it is branched off to copper tubing to my current water heater, furnace and fireplace.

I bought a new tank less water heater. The setup i'd like to do is from that 1/2in copper tubing running in, tee off from that with a maxitrol 325-5a regulator to 3/4in piping then straight to the water heater, leaving the existing 325-3 regulator in place to run the furnace and fire place.

Are there any recommendations on how far the 325-5a regulator should be from the initial 2psi line or the minimum distance after the regulator the first bend can be? I've heard different 2 different methods from 2 different plumbers

My plan was to use a tee from the 2psi inlet tube, one side of the tee to my new 3/4in line, and the bottom of the tee to the 1/2in black existing line. From the 3/4in tee I'd install the regulator and from there it would be at least 3 feet until my first bend and a total of about 12 ft to the tank less water heater.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 07:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Different places have different codes when it comes to copper tubing & gas. ASFAIK, black pipe is the best all the way.