T Gas line off the Meter

Old 04-09-13, 10:14 AM
T Gas line off the Meter

Hi all, new to this site and thank everyone in advance for sharing their information. I have a portable generator that has a natural gas conversion kit. It uses 140,000 BTU or 140 CF. I would like to make a "T" connection right after the meter in the output side of the meter/1 1/4 gas line. The gas company states my meter can handle the additional requirement of the generator along with my other appliances.
My question is what line I should run from the "T" to the regulator on the generator. Can a 1/2 quick disconnect line handle the requirement or will I need to go with a 3/4 line?
My second question is a follows - when placing a "T" right after the meter, is it acceptable to install a union to make the installation easier. I assume they sell a 1 - 1/4 to 3/4 T fitting, then I'd install a shut off valve and quick disconnect fitting. Sound like I'm ok with my intentions?
Thanks for your feedback!
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Hi welcome. If your correct about the 140k btu then the size pipe depends on how far your gen will be from the meter.

Typically the meter has the union and you just break it down to the first elbow. then replace that elbow with a tee then put it back together.

10ft of 1/2 inch supports 175k. Over 10 ft then you go 3/4. 50 ft of 3/4 supports 151k.

If the first ell is all 1 1/4 then you will replace the ell with:

1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 tee or 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 tee

Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-13, 10:39 AM
Yes it helps very much...for some reason there is no union in my gas meter, so I'm guessing I'm going to have some fun with removing pipe and installing a union...it's like when they built the house they started from the gas line and kept moving into the house. If I shut off the main and drain the gas for a few hours...you think it would be ok to use a hack saw to cut the pipe and install a union? I'm only going less than 10 feet so 1/2 inch looks like it will work fine. I'm getting my 140 CF/140k BTU from the manufactures website of 10CF for every horsepower...Can’t thank you enough for your guidance.

Old 04-09-13, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
No need to hack saw. The connection at the top of the meter is the union.... Loosen and break it down to the first ell. Cant be more then a few inches from the meter.

Take a pic......

Old 04-09-13, 04:38 PM
Ok, I see the union at the top of the meter…I can take off and install the “T”.
It looks like previous owner put a “saddle valve” in the gas line?? It’s too small for my requirement, so I guess I should take that out while I’m installing the valve.
Here’s the picture from the meter. Is that how you’d do it?
Again, thank you for all of your help!
Name:  IMG-20130409-00025.jpg
Views: 7803
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 04-09-13, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Yes remove that saddle valve. You will need to replace that length of pipe . I would change the second elbow and just do a 3/4 tee. You dont want any tee hanging down like a drip leg. moisture can collect and freeze in winter and crack the pipe.

Last edited by lawrosa; 04-09-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-09-13, 07:05 PM
That makes perfect sence. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-09-13, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
OK good... So your all right then....

Yes add a 3/4 tee and reduce the 3/4 end to the gen to 1/2. But I think all the hoses come 3/4 no?

Any other questions post back.

Old 04-09-13, 07:57 PM
Yes I haven’t received the hose yet, but I do believe it is 3/4 - The 1/2 was undersized for 140k BTU.
Hopefully we will have a nice weekend in central NJ... I'll holler if I run into trouble, but I think it will be pretty straight forward.
I’ll update after I’m done.

Old 04-09-13, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Looks like galv pipe... Make sure you get the galv paint to cover the threads after you put together. Clean that pipe going into the home and paint that too.