Rusted cast iron clean-out plugs

Old 04-10-13, 08:16 PM
Rusted cast iron clean-out plugs

Hi gents;
Have a small problem here. I have owned my house for awhile and NEVER needeed to access the main drain lines which are cast iron with male access plugs. Recently I had a small problem that could have required (still may need) access in the drain lines through the access plugs. These plugs were at one time (unkown how long) buried in dirt and now seem to be rusted shut. I have found one that wasn't buried but it too seems to be rusted closed.
Any ideas on what could be done to free them? I was thinking of heat, then some 3d oil let soak for awhile and then reheat again (wash, rinse, repeat). LAST resort, drill holes in cap, cut in half, then cut out a small section and carefully try to chisel it out. Worked on smaller caps and valves. Really DO NOT want to have to replace them as except for the small exposed section the rest of the lines are under concrete.
Any ideas gleefully accepted!!!

BTW; I did gain access but it involved removing the connection from the slop sink, snaking through the branch line to the main and out. Seemed to (temp.) clear the line.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
IMO your best off leaving it. If you crack the hub or what not you will have some trouble on your hands.

Although not sure how far its buried in the dirt. If you do get it out getting a brass cap in there will be difficult and a lead fits all is the answer. But you need to install them properly to prevent blow out from a clog.

My approach would be to snap the line in an accessible area on a vertical and install a PVC clean out.

Ideally install a two way outside so you don't have to snake from within the home.

Last if there is a main line clog it often says there is an issue with the main. Roots, belly's, cracked collapsed pipe...etc...

Camera inspection is the only way to know the cause and to correct it.

Old 04-11-13, 02:54 PM
Lawrosa...

Thanks for the reply. I traced the line outside and as my luck runs, it goes to the mainline right UNDERNEATH my house walkway!!!! Right now before I do any more I think I will have a camera inspection done and then consider my options from there. In the meantime I did get some DrainCare down there and later some Root Kill in case it is a root finding its' way in there and snagging something causing the small backup.
Last nights storms had my sump running hard, and lets just say the discharge did not come into the house.

Old 04-11-13, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
I did get some DrainCare down there and later some Root Kill in case it is a root finding its' way in there and snagging something causing the small backup.
For the root stuff to work right the roots need to be cut with a cutting bit first...

Just an FYI so you dont waste your money. A camera is the best idea IMO...