running outside water supply line above grade?

Old 04-11-13, 11:46 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
running outside water supply line above grade?

i would like to run a water supply line outside of my house about 10ft and mount it on the rim joist of my deck.

ive read that code requires you to trench below the frost line when running such pipes, however i have a concrete patio slab below the deck and it seems silly to trench 10' and then come up 42" above the frost line.

is there an alternative method for this? insulation perhaps?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 03:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Is this for an outdoor faucet that would be drained over the winter? If so, as long as it's protected, I don't see any issue with it.

If it's a water line that will be used through the winter, you'll need to rethink your plan. Especially in CT, it will freeze, probably even with insulation and heat tape (which I don't think is UL listed for outdoor use).

Old 04-12-13, 05:03 AM
J
yes, it would supply a hose bib. I probably wouldn't need to use it during the winter. Draining the line is option, but if I can find a solution that will allow me to use it during the winter I'd prefer to go that route.

Old 04-12-13, 06:29 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Having seen a number of burst pipes from freezing, I think your only real option would be to locate the hose bib somewhere that the plumbing could run inside the heated section of the house, then just pop out using a frost-free faucet. These faucets basically have a long shaft, allowing the water to be turned off inside the house, and the 6-12" section that's through the wall drains empty.

Pipe insulation helps a bit, but if you get a few hours/days of below-freezing weather, insulation won't help.

Old 04-12-13, 06:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Have you considered a yard hydrant? This is a spigot that has the actual valve guts located deep underground. Lifting the handle pulls a lever that opens the valve. Closing the lever turns off the supply of water and opens a drain to remove the water from the hydrant.

Old 04-12-13, 07:14 AM
J
thanks for all the input guys!

i will reconsider my options with the information you all have provided.

Old 08-21-13, 06:08 AM
J
so im going to install the water supply line along a joist on the frame of deck and mount a spigot on the rim joist/fascia. The framing and deck are pressure treated wood (the new method of treating). I will install a shut off value on the interior of the house to close the line in winter months.

Are the any concerns about mounting copper pipe to pressure treated wood? Should I use some type of standoff bracket? Foam insulation? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-21-13, 01:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be no issue with mounting the copper pipe to the CCA (pressure treated) wood. Be sure to slope the pipe downward towards the faucet so you can drain the pipe when you turn it off. Also, the shutoff should be a stop & waste valve, so you can unscrew the little plug and help the pipe drain.

Good luck!