Shower P-trap

Old 04-12-13, 08:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower P-trap

I have a 230 year-old home, and am renovating a 2nd-floor bath. I have roughed in the new soil pipe from the original CI to the closet flange with 1/8" per ft pitch. I have aprox 8" between floors in which to work. I now am roughing in from the new shower pan, using 2" pvc running to the 3x2 sanitary tee in the soil-pipe line. The problem is, while I can (barely) fit the 2" p-trap between the floors, the outlet of the p-trap is 3-3/4" above the inlet of the sanitary tee, with a run of approximately 30" - a pitch of about 1-1/2" per ft. If I come off the p-trap with a pair of 60deg street elbows, I can run the remaining 2" line with between 1/8" and 1/4" pitch per ft. I see no other way of doing this besides dropping the p-trap through my dining-room ceiling. Going to 1-1/2" reduces but doesn't solve the problem, and would probably cause water back-up in the shower pan.
Is my solution acceptable within NH codes?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
IMO get what ever pitch you can.... Its all how you swing the 3x3x2 Y. You can float the level Y 1/8 or 1/4 or float it more pitch but take it down with the st 22/45/60.... Kind of swing it.... Hard to explain.

30" the inspectors are not putting a level on it. Even if you had back pitch its probably ok. The water will flow.

Start at the trap. Get that as high as possible. You can get high but depends on the strainer your using. Hard trap and doughnut strainer work best. Then dry fit everything to the Y. Make all pipe to make sure fully inserted into fitting. If not you will be short when you glue.

Hope this helps.