How Do I Increase My Water Pressure?

Old 04-16-13, 06:32 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
The shut off valve has had it's handle removed. You can purchase a new one at most hardware stores.
Can you use pliers or a wrench to move the valve where the handle use to be? It's hard to see in that photo, but it looks like it is a hex shape.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 07:04 AM
N
hi there. if i can use a pliers or a wrench, do i want to turn the valve all the way to the left. i do not know how long the handle has been removed, and i do not know what position the handle was in before it came off.

is the handle a standard item? do i want the kind that is circular or the kind that sort of looks like a tongue depressor. does it make any difference?

thank you.
Can you obtain a closer photo of the valve and handle connection?
It looks like a gate valve, which would mean a handle similar to the one in the image below will do.

For using a wrench, you should be able to open the valve more by turning it counter clockwise. DO NOT force it as it may already be open all the way.

Old 04-16-13, 07:07 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Do I Increase My Water Pressure?

Hi:

The water pressure in my house seems to be low. This is true in the shower, sinks, toilets, etc. I want to know what I can do about it. I attached a photo of the water meter. Do you see that there is a shut off valve and it looks like the knob has been removed? Also, the top part of the meter itself is kind of "loose". I tried to tighten it to the right, put it just continued to twist.

How do I fix that shut valve? Could it have something to do with the low pressure? Where is the water pressure regulator itself, and how do I adjust it?

The green wires in the photo are grounding wires placed recently when I had some electrical work done.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-13, 07:37 AM
U
hi there. if i can use a pliers or a wrench, do i want to turn the valve all the way to the left. i do not know how long the handle has been removed, and i do not know what position the handle was in before it came off.

is the handle a standard item? do i want the kind that is circular or the kind that sort of looks like a tongue depressor. does it make any difference?

thank you.

Old 04-16-13, 12:07 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
You might just have low(er) pressure from the city supply. This can happen if you are sorta far from the pumping station.

Where is the water pressure regulator itself, and how do I adjust it?
You might not have one. Usually they are only installed in homes with HIGH water pressure from the city. What's to the right of the meter?

To get an idea of what your pressure actually IS, you could pick up one of these gauges at HD or Lowes and screw it onto a hose bibb and leave it for a few days. It will record the max pressure on the 'lazy hand'.

Watts 3/4 in. Plastic Water Pressure Test Gauge-DP IWTG at The Home Depot

do i want to turn the valve all the way to the left
As with most valves, counter-clockwise opens, clockwise closes. Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

It's probably all the way open already.

Old 04-16-13, 12:13 PM
U
Hello NJ Trooper:

I live in Old Bridge, NJ, a suburban environment. Maybe I will look for a test gauge like you suggest.

Old 04-16-13, 03:40 PM
U
Hi Trooper:

I went to HD. The plumbing guy told me the only handle that they had was with a open square in the center. I bought it anyway and brought it home. It does not fit on. I attached another photo. It looks like the exterior is 5 sided, a pentagon. And then in the middle is a female screw in section. Do you know where I can find a handle that would fit?

To the right of the valve is the meter and about 1 foot above is another shut off valve and then I think the pipe heads off to the hot water heater.

I bought one of those pressure meters. What pressure range would be considered average?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 04-17-13, 07:02 AM
V
Vey
Try a real hardware store first, then try a real plumbing supply store which the guys at the hardware store will know about.

Old 04-17-13, 07:14 AM
U
Ok, I will try a hardware store and/or a plumbing supply store.

Old 04-17-13, 07:19 AM
N
If I remember correctly, the water supply in the town I use to live in was ~60PSI.
Being on well water now, normal is 40 to 60PSI for me.