Help Identifying plumbing pipes already roughed-in for basement finish

Old 04-18-13, 12:47 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying plumbing pipes already roughed-in for basement finish

Hello,

I am going to begin a project to finish the basement of my house. The house is about 14 years old so it's fairly new. There are 3 pipes already roughed in for the bathroom, but I just need some help identifying what they are. I've numbered the pipes in each pic and below is what I *think* they are. Please correct anything that is not correct.

1 - Main waste / vanity drain
2 - Shower/Bath
3 - Vent
4 - Toilet

Pipe #2 has a Styrofoam ring/donut around the base of it.

Attached Images    
Old 04-18-13, 01:19 PM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Wouldn't that be the sink?
The vanity sink is the only thing missing for a full bathroom.
Can't say what the ring is for.

Old 04-18-13, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The ring is probably just to keep the concrete out of contact with the pipe and to provide some amount of sealing against bugs, vapors and such. Odd they didn't do the same to the others?

I agree that 3 would probably be the sink. I wonder where the vents are?

Maybe a drawing of where the layout of the fixtures and walls would be would help?

Old 04-19-13, 06:48 AM
C
Wouldn't the vanity be connected to the horizontal pipe coming off of #1?? The contractor wrote "12" C to wall" on the floor behind pipe#4 (Toilet?) and then drew a line on the floor to indicate the 12" mark so that would mean that pipe#3 would be inside the wall. Right? I've read the term "dapout" when referencing the bath/shower so I assumed that was what that styrofoam ring was around pipe#2. Here's a few more pictures including how I "think" the bathroom would be layed out.

Attached Images    
Old 04-19-13, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
#1 would not be the vanity. Especially if waste drains into the stack from upstairs.

#3 is the vanity.

Your neo angle shower is probably wrong and should be smaller, The vanity would be in between the shower and toilet.

Just make sure there is a trap under the cement for the shower arm....( Pour water down it and use a flashlight to verify there is standing water down it)

Old 04-19-13, 07:15 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
You're idea makes sense. Having the cleanout access port in the vanity would be a smart move as well, hidden, but easy to access.
From the pictures, it looks like pipe #2 is directly in line with that pipe in the ceiling?

Old 04-19-13, 08:34 AM
C
lawrosa, if #1 is not for the vanity, then what would that horizontal pipe sticking out be for? I thought for sure it would be for hooking the vanity plumbing into. Especially since the cleanout access is right below it as Northern Mike pointed out.

I've attached another picture showing that the Vanity, Toilet, and Shower from the bathroom directly above all drain into the same large waste pipe (#1)

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-13, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
If that was piped for the sink and used as such it would be a wet vent and that is illegal as the plumbing code states.

If you put a vent on the arm sticking out and tied it into the vent in the ceiling then it can be used. Vanity? Washer?

But I don't think it was intended as such. If it was the tee/arm would be turned against the wall most likely.

Old 04-19-13, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
This is how I think it was piped under the slab and what I feel it was piped for.

The laundry can go farther to the corner of the basement. I drew it short for illustration only.

If you do use that arm it needs to be vented. I show it tied into the other vent. The will be in the ceiling though. ( Not enough space to draw it correctly)

Also I believe a rectangle shower as shown in red.

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-13, 12:12 PM
C
I guess what I'm probably going to have to do is pop the caps on pipes 2 and 3 and pour some water into them and see if they are trapped. So am I correct that if a pipe is not trapped, it's a vent? Also, as for that horizontal pipe coming off Pipe#1, if I split it and hooked one branch to the vent in the ceiling and the other branch to the sink, then I could use it for the vanity? I would really like the vanity to be located there as opposed to using Pipe#3 for it so I'm hoping that is the case.

Well, wait a second. Aren't the sinks in vanitys trapped under the sink itself? And if that's the case, couldn't I use pipe 1 or 3 for vanity (assuming 3 isn't trapped under the slab)? Now I'm really confused. LoL!

Old 04-19-13, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Ha ha... In my drawing that arm off pipe 3 is not under ground. That will be a short arm in the wall that will be there. The trap will be in the vanity.

I hope you can visualize that.

Old 04-19-13, 01:25 PM
C
Lol! Yeah, I can see it. I guess I'm going to have to re-work my plans and move some things around. Thanks for all the help! :-)

Old 04-19-13, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Here is a revised version. This is if the main waste under the slab goes towards the other side of the home. Not sure where the street/swer is or septic.

Anyway you may not need an arm and can come out straight off pipe 3 as shown.

First thing to do is get the shower pan you want size wise... And you build the walls around that. How big that is decides what size vanity will fit between it and the toilet.

Possibly you can give us measurements from the center of the shower pipe to where the edge of the wall may be. Thats the wall pipe 3 will be in....

Then give the measurement from the shower pipe to the vent pipe in the toilet direction...

Name:  Pipes.jpg
Views: 19605
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 04-22-13, 05:19 AM
C
Lawrosa,

The main waste pipe actually exits the house directly under the walll in the pictures and uses public sewer.. Not sure if that alters anything, but just wanted to mention it. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: