Ideas on how to modify main water inlet in basement

Old 05-07-13, 03:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ideas on how to modify main water inlet in basement

Hey everyone,

The main water inlet in our basement is in an awkward location. In one of the main areas of the basement it comes through a hole in the cement about 18"x10" and is 24" away from the wall.

I'd like to be able to use this space, without the fear of tripping on the water line. I thought of i) building a custom bench to cover the area or preferably ii) shutting of the city water, moving the inlet shutoff valve into the hole and digging a small trench beneath the floor to pass the water line through.

Any ideas would be appreciated. See Photo.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-13, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Could you get a closer pic? Is this coming up from a slab????

Old 05-07-13, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
If it's the water main where is the meter ?

Old 05-07-13, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
If it's the water main where is the meter ?
Probably at the street PJ........

Old 05-08-13, 03:49 AM
M
Yes, this is coming up from a slab. I'll try to get a closer picture tonight when I get back from work.

PJmax - there is no water meter (it's free/included in our taxes)

Old 05-09-13, 04:19 AM
M
Some closer shots

Here are some closer shots

Attached Images   
Old 05-09-13, 06:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
My first thought is a cabinet would be perfect!

Relocating that pipe should be pretty easy, though if you're not prepared for a day without water, you may want to have a plumber do it. I'm always a bit scared of doing things before the main shutoff since most projects don't go nearly as easily as you expect.
But you should be able to reroute it into the wall. I would probably put the shutoff in the wall with an access panel over it. That hole is a little tight for moving the shutoff into it.

I think the hardest part of the project will be the carpentry. You'll have to pull up the flooring between the hole and the wall, then re-cover it with some kind of hidden floor panel. Certainly doable. You obviously want to keep access to the cleanout there too if you ever need it. Also, you'll want to ensure the ground wire is reattached securely when you're done.

Old 05-11-13, 01:06 PM
M
Sounds like you think it will work. I really want the space to walk around in the area. I was thinking of putting a grate (similar to heating vents) over the top.

My only concern is that I'll have to dig a trench in the concrete for the water line to pass through until the wall. I'm not sure if this goes against any building codes, or if it will create noise when water is turned on?

Old 05-13-13, 06:41 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I wouldn't touch the concrete slab, I would just route the pipe through the 2x8 floor joists, over to the wall, then up through the bottom 2x4 plate of the wall.

You won't know what's actually there until you pull up that section of flooring, but I don't foresee any big issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: