Bathroom drain pipe broke off at wall

Old 05-16-13, 09:13 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom drain pipe broke off at wall

Something fell down our bathroom sink, and when unscrewing the trap pipe, the steel connector just broke off. (leaving the steel pipe thread still inside the pvc)

The section that broke off was extremely thin, as is the remaining pipe coming out of the wall. There does appear to be some corrosive buildup inside the pipe in the wall - but isn't as much as I've seen in other posts.

I know that replacing the pipe is an inevitability, but with two kids in college (and one a year away) we would love to find a temporary fix that could last us another 5 years or so.

I read about Fernco couplings in posts similar to ours, but there doesn't seem to be enough pipe coming from the wall to attach it to. Is there anything we can place inside the wall pipe to extend it, and then attach that to our existing pvc drain?

Name:  pipe131.jpg
Views: 10226
Size:  14.8 KBName:  pipe132.jpg
Views: 6500
Size:  22.6 KBName:  pipe133.jpg
Views: 6110
Size:  21.5 KBName:  pipe134.jpg
Views: 4938
Size:  18.3 KB

Old 05-16-13, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
You will need to unscrew that copper piece. You need to get a wrench on it. Say a 14" or so. If you can do that then you can convert to copper....

Old 05-16-13, 01:00 PM
T
We're worried that it will just break off more pipe if we try and remove the piece. If it does break - do we have any other remedies?

Old 05-16-13, 02:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Worry all you want, but you have few choices.
That old nipple will have just about weled it's self to the old fitting.
Near impossible to just unscrew them.
I just crush them with a big pair of channel locks to get most of it out then use a wire brush to clean out the old threads.
More often then not I end up using a Dremal tool with a cut off blade to clean u the threads.

Just one more reason bite the bullet and get rid of all the old steel plumbing.

Old 05-16-13, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Its a copper male adapter.... Dont worry about it... Turn it out, it will not break. There are grasp areas like a socket. Get a wrench on it. If you feel like you cant do it call in a local plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: