Washing machine in basement currently draining into ground..

Old 05-25-13, 11:07 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine in basement currently draining into ground..

I have my washing machine in the basement, and it currently is set up to drain into the ground, near the sump pit. This was probably never allowed by code but has been this way im sure for years. I just moved in in 2010. Due to having an interior drain being put in, the company doing the work will be tearing up the concrete next to the wall around the entire basement.

They said its probably not legal the way my washer drain is set up and that I should change it. They dont plan on putting a new drain pipe into the ground for the washer.

I have city sewer. If you notice in one of the pictures, theres a smaller pipe extension coming from part of the sewer waste line. I currently have it capped off (previous owners had the sump pump connected to this. Can I use that for my washing machine drain? I know Ill most likely have to get a pump in order for the washer to drain up and that far.

Here are some pics.

Postimage.org / gallery - WP 20130525 002, WP 20130525 003, WP 20130525 004, WP 20130525 005

Note that the sump pit has a large white pipe inside it. The is where all my water from underground apparently runs to. It has a check valve on the inside to prevent back flow. I have no idea where that pipe leads to. My pump is usually never needed except in cases of very heavy rain/massive snow melt, so any water under my foundation just drains out that big white pipe currently.

What I would really like to do is when the company finishes the work, is just to drain the washer to the new sump pit they put in, and have it drain out to the back of my property. But maybe itd be best if I do it the right way, though it appears it will be a pain.

Old 05-25-13, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Easiest and correct way is to install a laundry sink and have the washer drain to that. Then the laundry sink gets a pump. It gets vented with a studor vent and the discharge ties into the sewer...

Old 05-26-13, 02:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks lawrosa. Will I still need the studor vent if the portion im connecting to isnt far from a "stink" pipe? Also, ive heard someone say once that the connection of the washer has to be higher than the waste line before I connect to it? I dont have much room above where I plan on connecting it.

Old 05-27-13, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
This type of pump/tank.

Liberty Pumps : Drain Pumps

Hooked up like this. Yes you need the studor vent unless you can tie into a proper vent.

Old 05-27-13, 12:38 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 169 Posts
Definitely better to do a pump like this than drain the gray water out into your yard. While it may have been legal years ago, it most likely is not any more in your locale.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: