Tips on how to stop sewage backup

Old 05-28-13, 08:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips on how to stop sewage backup

Hi,

We (myself and my wife) live in a condo unit in a 8 unit building. We are at the ground level closest to the main drainout line.

We have had 4 sewage backups in around 4 months. We thought the solution was found after the 3rd one when we were told that the root cause was somebody had flushed tampons and they were clogging the pipes. My wife and I don't flush anything besides toilet paper but the condo upstairs share the same plumbing for our spare washrooms.

2 nights ago, we had the 4th sewage backup so the plumbing company got a snake camera in there like last time but they found no blockage this time. We are very concerned as this will likely happen again and this time, there is no plan in action to resolve this by the builder/plumbers/condo board.

Twice this happened during heavy rains but then 2 times there was no rain.

Any advice/opinion/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-13, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You could install a back water valve on your main waste line... But you must find out how the two units are tied in togther.

Do you share the stack?

Even so you need to install this backwater device before the stack where your unit ties in.

Backwater Valves

Old 05-28-13, 09:12 AM
S
Backwater valve

Hi,

I've read on this Backwater valve and actually asked the builder about this and I overheard him asking to the plumber about it but didn't really hear what the plumber's answer was.

I'm assuming since this has to be installed on the main waste line that this means digging out our floors to go install this underground?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Old 05-28-13, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
I'm assuming since this has to be installed on the main waste line that this means digging out our floors to go install this underground?

Yes....That is correct sir.

Old 05-30-13, 11:13 AM
S
How could i figure out if the pipes are well ventilated?

I read some issues from other people posting that their pipes were not well ventilated and this would create some sort of air lock and this would go away after the backup happened.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Old 05-30-13, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Usally never a venting issue. Rule of thumb is if it gets through the toilet it will go down the sewer.

Usually clog's occur on the main line from some issue. Roots, belly's in the pipe, partial collapse...ect. You dont get clogs from venting issues. The water will flow regardless and just pull from a trap if it was not vented to code.

If anyone says otherwise then they have no clue about plumbing IMO...

Old 06-06-13, 09:45 AM
S
Any chance this article on falling water/back pressure could explain what's happening (page 190,191):

500 Simple Home Repair Solutions - Norman Becker - Google Books

Thanks,
Charles