Sewer Clean out cover broken, not sure how to fix it

Old 06-03-13, 08:37 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewer Clean out cover broken, not sure how to fix it

Was walking through the yard and saw that where there was a cap is no longer there but a hole. I tried using a wrench to get the remnants out but couldn't. Any suggestions on how to fix this myself? If so anything I need to look out for?

Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 19189
Size:  43.5 KB

Should I just call a plumber to get this resolved?

I do have a dremel, I wonder if I could use it to cut out the pieces?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-13, 08:49 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can not tell from the picture, what's it made of?
Out side looks like PVC but the plug looks like something else.
If it's PVC a dremel will just melt it.
One simple trick would be to drill two holes across from each other and tap in 2, 1/2 bolts, then use a long screw driver or flat bar to try and turn it.
One out replace it with a flush plug so the lawn mower will not hit it.
4" PVC plug - Bing Images

Old 06-04-13, 07:03 AM
U
Thanks Joe. The cap was metal I believe but I will definitely try the drill method that you suggested as well as finding a flat cap.

Ming

Old 06-04-13, 07:40 AM
U
Was looking at the flush type caps here

Clean-Out Plugs in brass and ABS, access covers, Tom Kap bushings, and test plugs

Will the Slotted ABS one work with PVC or would I need some sort of adapter or bushing? Does the one with brass insert work differently?

Sorry for all the newbie questions...

Old 06-04-13, 12:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 481 Votes on 442 Posts
Brass and PVC caps can be used interchangeably as the threads are the same. Personally I like the raised head type since any large pair of channel locks, Crescent or pipe wrench can be used to remove it. The recessed type require the key which always seems to be lost. Next would be the slotted type since almost anything can be stuck in the slot to help remove it. In the end I'd just get a PVC cap at the local home center. If the mower does hit it it will shatter, hopefully without harming the mower.

Another option to remove your existing cap is to use a punch or old wood chisel. Near the outer edge hold the punch/chisel at a 45 degree angle and hit with a hammer to turn the plug counter clockwise. The two holes trick is a bit more work but works better when the cap is really stuck.

Old 06-04-13, 05:42 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hello, Try digging around the pipe, maybe you have a couple feet of stub up from the sewer line. If that is the case and the pipe is abs or pvc you could cut the pipe below the fitting and install a new fitting and cap. You will now be below grade, great. Now get one of those boxes made of concrete or ABS. They are different size boxes with no bottom used for irrigation, water meters sewer clean outs. Place it over the pipe plug. Keep the top of the box at grade level. Now you can mow your lawn and just run over the box with no damage. To access the plug just remove the cover off the box.
Good Luck Woodbutcher