Need help, shower faucet leaking and I can't repair it.

Old 06-07-13, 10:26 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help, shower faucet leaking and I can't repair it.

I have a Waltec shower faucet with 3 handles 1 hot 1 cold and 1 diverter and I read articles and watch videos on how to repair a leaky faucet and my faucet is not like any other ones I have seen online. The hot water keeps running and I need to fix it, I can't keep shutting the water off to the entire house. I remove the only nut that I seen and underneath is only a big black rubber washer, the other 2 valves look to be the same way. I don't think you can removed the stem like the videos I seen. Here a couple of pictures because I am not able to describe my faucet too good in writing. I even removed the top surround so that I can have a better look at the faucet.

Hope you guys can help me, I am desperate.

Attached Images        
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I think the rubber washer you describe is the packing washer that prevents water from leaking out around the stem. Tightening the outer nut squeezes it against the stem causing it to seal.

With the outer nut removed like in your last picture have you tried turning the stem counterclockwise? I don't know that brand but it looks like it should unscrew and come out.

Here is what I think your stem will look like. Once it's out you can then replace the washer on the end.

Old 06-07-13, 03:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot Pilot Dane!! I got it fixed no more leak! I had to twist it counter clockwise like you said. For some reason all the articles and videos I have seen talked about using Stem wrenches and not twisting the stem with a pair of pliers.

Now my other problem, I got the tub surround put back in but I can't caulk at all. I make a huge mess just look at the pics below. Is there any tips? I think maybe I cut the tip of the caulking tube too big but its the only way I can fit a nail in the tip to break the safety seal.

Attached Images