Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

suddenly only a trickle of water from the hot side of the faucet - cold works

Old 06-07-13, 04:28 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My mom just called and told me that all of a sudden, when she turns her hot water on from any faucet including the bath tub, there is only a trickle of water. The water trickling out it hot but there seems to be no pressure. She said the cold is fine and normal pressure. I know she doesn't have any sort of filtration system or anything fancy in her plumbing.

Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 07:45 PM
R
When was the last time the water heater was drained and flushed?? If it were me, I'd pull a couple of the aerators on the faucets and then turn the water on -- maybe debris has washed through the hot water tank and plugged everything up. It won't cost you a dime, and will only take a few minutes to check

Old 06-08-13, 01:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it was the aerators then both hot and cold would be slow.
Check the free stuff first, is the shut off valve open on the tank?
Drain some of the sedimant out of the tank. (should be done every 6 months.)
Still not it then I'd be removing and checking the dip tube.

Old 06-08-13, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I have never seen sediment that would clog the pickup tube but I have seen it clog shutoff valves. If there are any shutoff valves for the water heater open a hot water faucet somewhere to get water flowing and repeatedly open and close the shutoff valves. Sometimes you can crush, break-up or get the debris to pass through the valve.

Old 06-08-13, 05:24 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
May not plug it up but the dip tube sure can break off inside the tank that why I suggested removing and checking it.

Old 06-08-13, 05:28 AM
O
I agree with Joe and Pilot. It can really only be the shut off valve or the dip tubes. I mean, what else can it be?

Old 06-08-13, 06:23 AM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
What sort of water system - well or municipal?
What sort of water heating - summer/winter boiler or separate gas/electric hot water heater?
What sort of piping in the house?
Any hard water issues, water softener, water purifier?
Age of house?

Here's a probable situation
House recently lost water service, either well and lost power in thunderstorms or municipal and water main flushing etc.
Flushing toilets etc ran the pipes dry, that loosened the muck, corrosion or scale that accumulates inside pipes, that has now blocked the hot water.

First question - is the blockage in the cold water feed line TO the water heating device,
or is it in the line FROM the water heating device?
To check, (first turn off the water heater, fuse or gas.)
(Standard water heater drains have a garden hose connector, I'd add a on/off ball valve at the end of the garden hose just in case the water heater valves get jammed on by gunk...)
Connect hose to the bottom.
Open and close the drain on the bottom of the water heater - is the water under pressure?
Connect hose to the top.
Open and close the pressure relief valve on top of the water heater - is the water under pressure?
See if the valve on the cold water line TO the water heater turns, open fully and then close it fully once or twice.
Check top valve, then bottom valve again-
Did you get any pressure?

If that doesn't work, you might have to "backflush" the hot water lines.
Use the cold water pressure to drain gunk in the hot water lines out via the heater lower drain.
Close the valve on the cold water line feeding the water heater.
Open the lower drain valve on the water heater.
Going one sink at a time, working from upstairs down,
Take the aerator off the faucette, block it by screwing on a plastic bottle cap or asprin bottle cap that fits .
If you can't find a bottle cap that fits, a plastic sandwich bag and screw the aerator on loosely.
Wrap it up in cling wrap / duct tape and a small towel.
Turn on both hot and cold - you should hear the cold water pushing through the faucette and backward through the hot water pipes, and out the hot water heater drain.

Last edited by Hal_S; 06-08-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 09:30 AM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Hal_S

If that doesn't work, you might have to "backflush" the hot water lines.
Use the cold water pressure to drain gunk in the hot water lines out via the heater lower drain.
Close the valve on the cold water line feeding the water heater.
Open the lower drain valve on the water heater.
Going one sink at a time, working from upstairs down,
Take the aerator off the faucette, block it by screwing on a plastic bottle cap or asprin bottle cap that fits .
If you can't find a bottle cap that fits, a plastic sandwich bag and screw the aerator on loosely.
Wrap it up in cling wrap / duct tape and a small towel.
Turn on both hot and cold - you should hear the cold water pushing through the faucette and backward through the hot water pipes, and out the hot water heater drain.
Of course Ė the "old bottle cap on the faucet trick." lol

Iím no plumber, just a newbie, but all of the above really seems like a neat backflush trick. I donít have a water heater but Iím saving these instructions for the future.