gas piping

Old 06-10-13, 03:10 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas piping

Hi,
I am adding an addition on to my home approx 1900 sqft. the existing gas line starts off at 1" the reduces down 1/2" for 75k btu hot air furnace then continues 3/4" to stove/oven (1" x 3/4 x 1/2 Tee). i am adding on when addition is finished to the new boiler and hot water heater being the new furthest point and the total run will be 80'. If I follow the chart correctly I should up the pipe to 1 1/4" or am i looking at this wrong? if i calculated right i have 360cfh. 1 1/4" gas pipe for 80' = 350Cfh which the chart was given to me by the Twp.

Once addition is done:

New boiler 127k @ 80' furthest point
New hot water htr 40k 50 gal at same in boiler room 80'
Stove/oven 83k @ 28'
Exixting furnace 75k @ 13'

Eventually i am going to remove the 75k hot air furnace and add the 4th zone for baseboard to the existing structure but until that is done both units may be running at that same time. I have no problem removing existing and upgrading to 1 1/4" gas pipe a bit pricey but rather be safe and do it right. or can i continue with the 1" pipe to the furthest point the branch off with the other appliances, and do i have to request a new meter with and output of 1 1/4 or can a remove the old 1" and put 1 x 1 1/4" coupling.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-13, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I will have to pull out my chart.... ( be back in a few.)

But,

New boiler 127k
That boil will heat a 5k sq ft house... Is the home that big? Did you do a heat loss calc?

Just wondering do you do not oversize. Read the stickys at the top of this forum for heatloss calc.

and do i have to request a new meter
Go out and look at the meter rating plate. Whats the max btu say?

. I have no problem removing existing and upgrading to 1 1/4" gas pipe a bit pricey but rather be safe and do it right.

IMO you may be better off using trac pipe..... ( Must be certified though)

Old 06-10-13, 04:15 PM
U
Yes did a heat loss heat gain and to be quite honest not sure how to read it. Once the addition is done i am going to be heating with baseboard hot water heat. The boiler will be 3 zones for the just for the new addition and the 4th zone will be added at a later date to accommodate the existing structure of the home. I know at first it will be oversized but when i start the renovation of the existing I will be adding that 4th zone. looking to rid my house of forced hot air. The entire structure will be almost 3000 sqft home all home no garage unfortunately. i am not looking to over size or undersize.

Old 06-10-13, 04:20 PM
U
I am looking at the heat lose/gain under heating summary:

Structure 45424 Btuh
Ducts 22135 Btuh
Central Vents 0 Btuh
Humidification 0 Btuh
Piping 0 Btuh
Equipment Load 67559 Btuh

Old 06-10-13, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Moved post to its own thread....

The entire structure will be almost 3000 sqft
Probably need around 75k btu boiler. Your 130k btu boiler will be almost twice the size needed. Need to do a heat loss with the free calculator in this link/sticky... ( Sorry it was actually in the boiler section)

I will do some gas calcs tomorrow for you.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...alculator.html

Old 06-12-13, 05:53 AM
U
Ok went over all of it and looks like i will be going with an 80k Btu boiler a bit oversized at first but will be adding the 4th zone for the existing home which right now is heated with forced hot air. With the new addition i wont have time until next year to add the 4th zone.

Old 06-12-13, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Yes at 80 ft and almost 300k btu you need to come in with 1 1/4"