New shower draining slowly

Old 06-11-13, 04:21 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shower draining slowly

Hi

I have a problem with my newly installed shower. It drains slowly. The shower has the kind of drain on it that traps water in a ring under the lid, a kind of trap I guess, and as you turn the shower on, the plastic lid pops up and floats on the water. I then have to pull it out, and push it back in for it to stay down. Then the shower starts to fill with water, max about 2 inches. I then have to pull the drain out again and once I put it back in a second time it drains all the water normally, but if I stop the shower, then I have to repeat everything again. What's going on?

About 1 meter under the shower there is a standard P-trap in the basement as well. I was wondering if this kind if drain requires a P trap at all, and if the p trap may be trapping air and it may be hindering drainage.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! US standards may be different than UK, so bear with our questions. Would it be possible for you to post a picture or two of this drain? There should be no stopper in a shower, if that is what you are describing. Here Ptraps are required to keep sewer gasses from entering the building. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-11-13, 05:01 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the US it must be a 2" drain and must be vented. Unless it's also a tub there shoud not be a stopper. (drain plug)