Must be a plumbing leak......but

Old 06-15-13, 09:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Must be a plumbing leak......but

Question about this leak in the ceiling. There is a bathroom above this, but being how the water spot is so long puzzles me.

Anyone have any comment on why a leak would be this long?? Must be some type of plumbing leak.

http://i39.************/r1a1cn.jpg

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-13, 09:19 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just a wild guess is there a toilet or tub right over where the forground is in that picture? (away from the window)
May be water following a joist toward the outside wall.

Old 06-15-13, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Based on the leak.... it looks like the water is following one bay (between two beams).

Old 06-15-13, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Leaks can show themselves along the perimeter of sheet rock panels.

Old 06-15-13, 10:37 AM
D
Weird thing is, is that the stain is equal to where I drew the line in this picture. I could understand more if it were directly under one of the plumbing walls. Maybe the drain from the sink???

Thanks all for the help.

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-13, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
The stain has that dog leg at the end...... could that be the toilet. Looks like a big stain for the sink..... my guess is toilet or tub.

Old 06-15-13, 01:11 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
The length of the stain only indicates that the amount of water is sufficient enough to have volume to migrate to the extent you see. I would check the following:

-First, see if the toilet wobbles in any direction, left to right or front to back. It should be solid
-Tap on the tiles around the toilet with your knuckle, they should sound solid. If they sound hollow or vary in tone, you can tell where water has gotten to the subfloor.
-If you have children that use the bathroom double (no triple) check that they pull the shower curtain inside the shower when using and get a good seal against the wall of the tub so splash can not get out. I notice that the shower curtain is outside the tub in the picture.
-You can also go out to the water meter by the street, pull the cover and see if the little triangle moves at all. If it goes around, you have an active leak and not a drain issue.

Let us know of any anomalies you find.

Old 06-15-13, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Do you have children? Are baths being taken? Slashing and tub filled to top near overflow?

Common leaks are tub overflow gaskets. Next is the tub trap. Often its not hard trapped and its an LA trap with one nut. Often leaks from there, and above all could be brass... Depends on how old home is...

Last is the toilet. As was stated does it rock/wobble?

Rare that its sink related.

Water pipes can be a possibility....

Old 06-16-13, 08:13 AM
D
Both pictures were taken at the same place, up and down from each other, facing the same direction. No baths were taken. The house did have company over (4 people for 4 nights). At the end of their stay is when the stain was noticed. Other than that, the tub is never used.

Toilet would be located towards the window side of the stain in the first picture.

Haven't checked on the toilet rocking or tiles (it's my in-laws house). The L in the first picture would be located near the doorway of the second picture.

Looks like they may have to cut the ceiling in a couple of areas to find out exactly what is wrong.

Old 06-16-13, 08:57 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Would hate to cut into that textured ceiling until we have exhausted all possibilities.

First we need to figure out the slope of the ceiling. Likely sags slightly from the window toward the center of the room. If you can verify this then we know the leak originates from the tub/toilet area. Is the "L" location dead center of the room? That would indicate the lowest spot.

Is there another bathroom that backs up to this bath?

Ask the in-laws if there was a toilet overflow or plug event while the guests were in town. Sometimes the little ones are a little aggressive with paper.

Fill the tub with water (1/4) and then let drain. See if any additional signs of leakage.

Old 06-16-13, 09:06 AM
D
No other bathroom backs up to this. No plug events were mentioned. I'll have them fill the tub with some water, and see what happens.

They did have a plumber come out, but he found nothing. Not sure what he did when he was there. That's what prompted me to come here with some pictures and ask you people for suggestions.

I appreciate all the responses.

Old 06-16-13, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Look in the attic at the vent pipe through the roof. If the roof flange leaks it could travel down the stack and disperse in the wall.

You never know and I have seen it many times. Has it rained? It has here in NJ....

Check the tub drain. Pull and twist the strainer. Check for loose... May only leak when standing on the drain...