Location of shutoff valve for Sillcock?

Old 06-17-13, 10:43 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Location of shutoff valve for Sillcock?

I am renovating a basement, including insulating, etc. I am adding a freeproof sillcock for the backside of the house and running new line. I want to add a shutoff valve, but I don't want it to be near in the wall where the sillcoack will be located. I plan on adding some built in shelves in this part of the wall. Can I move the shutoff valve to be about 10 feet away from the sillcock? I could then also tuck the shuttoff value location into a soffit covering some ductwork. I am thinking that since the run of line between the cutoff and the sillcock is all heated, it won't matter in terms of purging the lines and vacuum breaking. And, there are no building codes in my town (or rather, there is no inspection required). I know someone on this forum knows the exact answer to this question. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-13, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Put it where it's easily accessible. The shutoff is mainly for double protection or when you need to replace the sillcock. Make sure you install the new sillcock with a slight down angle, or you'll defeat the whole purpose. Should come with a small plastic spacer to achieve that.

Old 06-17-13, 01:40 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will tilt it down, but it did not come with a spacer.
You don't think you should use the shutoff to shutoff the spigot in the winter? I live in Vermont (I see you live in AZ.) so freezing is an issue.

Old 06-17-13, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Oh..no...I agree to using the shutoff. Never trust a "freeze proof" faucet to not freeze.

Grew up in OH in an old house and Dad dealt with frozen pipes often. Spent 16 yrs in VA and had my share.

Just need to make sure the line drains.