Questions about repairing/replacing outdoor faucet

Old 06-17-13, 02:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about repairing/replacing outdoor faucet

Our house was built in the late 60's. There's an outdoor faucet on the front brick face wall that has never worked since we moved in 3 years ago. I believe the previous owners said it never worked for them either. They lived here for ~10 years. There is a copper pipe in the basement ceiling that runs directly to the faucet, and I cannot find a shutoff valve anywhere on the supply pipe. My assumption then is that the faucet is plugged up somehow. I've attached a few pictures of it. The handle actually pulls out an inch or so, and can be spun around and around. There's also some type of adapter that can be unscrewed and screwed back in. In playing with it I have never got one drop of water to come out of the faucet.

I'm hoping by looking at the pictures somebody can give me some advice on whether this is fixable - and if so, how. If not fixable, how would I go about replacing it. This is not something I've ever done before, but I'm generally fairly handy at DIY projects as long as I'm pointed in the right direction and it doesn't require a lot of specialized tools.

Name:  faucet1.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  50.8 KBName:  faucet2.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  45.9 KBName:  faucet3.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  40.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-13, 06:20 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Need pictures under the house so we can try and see which style and lenght you have.
They come at least 3 lengths, 1/2 MPT, 3/4" MPT and female, the males ones can also be solder on.
It's a good idea to install a shut off under the house but it's almost never done by the builder because of cost.
A new on would look a little differant then yours, it would have a anti siphon fitting on it butit works the same.
I would not waste time trying to fix that one.
More often then not they fail because someone left the hose on and it froze.

Old 06-18-13, 06:13 AM
M
Since you live in MI, that faucet should really be replaced with a frostproof sillcock.

Old 06-18-13, 07:25 AM
W
MD2 - After replacing several frost proof sill cocks I decided I wasn't going to waste any more money on them. I installed isolation valves inboard and I use regular sill cocks. I simply close the valves and open the sill **** when I put my hoses away for the winter.

Old 06-18-13, 09:48 AM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
hey jessman-

If you follow this link

How to Stop a Freeze-Proof Faucet From Leaking: The Family Handyman

and scroll down a little, you can see a frost-free from the outside to its connection on the inside. On the left in that picture you will see a female adapter soldered onto the piping for the house. The frost-free which has threads on the end like this:

http://pdf.lowes.com/installationgui...18_install.pdf

was then screwed into that female adapter.

Iím no plumber (for sure) but as joecaption says you should add a shutoff valve. If you will be changing things anyway that would be a good thing to add. If you scroll down a few pictures on this link you will see a shutoff valve (ball valve with red handle) soldered on the piping and you can see the connection to the sillcock at the top left.

Home Info Source: After the Thaw - Damaged Hose Bibs (Part 1 of 4)

My house was built in the 60ís and I had an old one also that broke. I personally think the old ones like yours look better, but I guess sometimes you just have to bury them. lol

Good luck!

p.s. I know you said you canít find a shutoff, but mine was actually back about 20í from the sillcock with 2 pipe turns in between.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-13, 06:47 AM
M
Wayne:

Maybe you were just unlucky. In 40 years of owning homes, I've never had to replace even one frostproof sillcock.