Questions about gas pipe for NG generator

Old 06-20-13, 08:50 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about gas pipe for NG generator

Hi,
I'd like to purchase a portable generator that runs off of natural gas to use if my power went out. I'm currently thinking 8000-10000 watts as the generator size.

Gas hookup: ideally I'd like to make a connection (via a quick connect) right where my meter is. I would keep the generator in my shed, and if the power went out i would roll it over and quick connect it.

Electrical hookup: already have an outdoor generator input plug at the same location going directly into my panel with a 30A breaker. Panel has an interlock to allow me to safely switch from utility input to generator input.

I'm attaching pictures of my gas meter and the gas layout for my house. My house was built in 1994 and most of the interior pipe is the black steel kind except where noted in the diagram.

Can you guys help me confirm:
1) Can I tap into the pipe after my meter via a tee to make a portable generator connection? If so, what size pipe?
2) Will my generator put my meter over its max flow capacity?
3) Does my current gas pipe layout/pipe sizing work given my appliances. I'm concerned about my grill's 3/8" pipe being too small.

I've done a lot of research on this forum to educate myself about gas piping (which is how i learned to make the diagram) and do most of my own work around the house, but i would hire someone qualified to do this work.

thanks

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
How many HP is the gen motor? I would say 15 HP at least? If so you would need 150k btu to supply the gen.

Yes tap at the meter and nothing else matters. Remove the second ell on the meter outlet and replace with a tee.

Hope this helps....

How close will the gen be to the meter?

3/4 you can have a 50 ft hose to the gen will supply 151k btu....

If less then 10ft from the meter you can use 1/2"

Old 06-20-13, 10:08 PM
P
thanks that helps. Yes, 15hp seems about right. 150k exrta btu may be more than my meter can handle, but i would limit use of my other gas appliances if we had no power and were on generator power.

The gen will be less than 10 ft from the meter.

seems pretty simple then.

Old 06-20-13, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Whats you meter max?

Old 06-21-13, 04:26 PM
P
It's an American Meter Company AC-250. Based on the link below it looks like it is rated at 250 cfh

http://www.gmaci.com/AMCO%20Literature/SB%203535.2.pdf