Tapping into main water line

Old 06-21-13, 02:43 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tapping into main water line

Hey guys. I've got a drilled well. The well is about 350ft out in the back yard. We plan on putting a pool out in that area. I'd prefer not to have to run hose 350ft out to get to the pool, and was wondering if I could just tap into the main water line coming from the drilled well to feed the pool. Is it as simple as digging up the main line, cutting it, and putting in a "T" and then reducing? Also, what would I do about freezing during the winter? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-13, 08:50 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 06-23-13, 10:42 AM
J
Is it okay if I put the hydrant right next to the well? I don't know how the pump works... Does it just turn on when it detects that there is no back pressure? Would putting the hydrant right next to it make it turn on and off quickly?

Old 06-23-13, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Joecaption1 link is not very helpful by itself.

To joe, if you add info and not just a link you would better help the OP with his question. Next time, and you do this often I will delete as non-beneficial...

To the OP...No you can not tap into the line from the well pump to the pressure tank. Any water lines must be connected after the pressure tank.

So you would need to run a line from the home. Hose or underground...your choice...

Let us know....

Old 06-23-13, 11:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
To joe, if you add info and not just a link you would better help the OP with his question. Next time, and you do this often I will delete as non-beneficial...
I agree. I almost deleted it yesterday when I first saw it but waited for Mike to make the final decision. One big irritation to any poster is "go Google it" which in essence is what you said.

The answer Mike from New Jersey has given to someone from New Jersey shows why you can't always rely on the internet. Someone from my part of the country would have said yes because the pressure tank is at the well here. At least I have never seen it anywhere else but it doesn't get as cold here.

Old 06-23-13, 01:14 PM
J
Hmm... That post was very unhelpful indeed. I spent a good part of yesterday digging for the line. I also just returned from buying a hydrant, fittings, clamps, teflon tape, and thread sealant. So.. I have to run line from the house eh? I guess I'll be returning all of this stuff, and doing a lot of backfilling. Just curious, why can't it be between the pump and the tank?
Ok, so what do you propose I do to get the water out there? What kind of pipe will I need? How far down will it need to be buried?

Old 06-23-13, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Just curious, why can't it be between the pump and the tank?
The tank needs to lose pressure for the pump to kick on. ( pressure switch) If you tap in where you want...nothing will happen.

Ok, so what do you propose I do to get the water out there? What kind of pipe will I need? How far down will it need to be buried?
Your area 3 1/2 ft down unless you blow it out in winter...

Poly pipe is best IMO although pex is often used....

Old 06-24-13, 06:43 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
The alternative is to build a well house (or maybe part of the pool house) and put the pressure tank and pressure switch there. You can probably use the existing wiring and piping and tap into it. It'll require some work, but may be worth while based on what you want to do. (or maybe not!)

Old 06-25-13, 07:34 PM
J
I ended up just running hose for now. Is it okay to leave the water running all night? The well is about 90ft down, and we had a lot of rain the past couple of weeks, but haven't had any for the past few days. Is it too much stress on the pump?