commode and bathtub backup when clothes washer drains

Old 06-22-13, 10:18 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
commode and bathtub backup when clothes washer drains

This problem cropped up about 2 months ago. A plumber ran a snake through all the lines they could from the roof. But I doubt they accessed the drain for the clothes washer. It did seem to address the problem at the time (which had the same symptoms - but I didnt know for certain it was directly assocaited with the drain cycle for the washer).

Now the problem is back - When the washer drains it causes the commode and bathtub to backup but only in 1 bathroom - not in the futher bathroom or shower for that bathroom.

I poured some two stage liquid plumber in the drain for the clothes washer but it did not appear to have any effect. Any suggestions?

Have the plumber come back and snake that line - or rent a snake myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-13, 10:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Septic system or city sewer?

If the former, when was the last time you had a pump out?

Yes, this could be a clog in the line for the washing machine.

Also, don't pour any more chemicals down the line, they don't help much and can make working on the plumbing dangerous if the chemicals are not completely drained away.

Old 06-22-13, 11:41 AM
H
Its a city system..........

Old 06-22-13, 01:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
No pour down the drain chemicals!

You have a partial clog. Do you have a crawl space or basement where you can see the plumbing layout? It would be great luck if you have some clean outs so you don't have to remove the toilet.

Old 06-23-13, 12:18 PM
H
No access to any plumbing is available - all in concrete. The house was built in early 60s and there is actually no cleanout on property either.

But I did snake that pipe with a 10$ harborfreight special. At least the commodes are flushing clean now. That was not even happening as of last night. Just gonna let the clock run a while longer.

So are you saying the next action would be pull a commode and it have to be snaked there?

Old 06-23-13, 04:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Pulling the toilet is probably you best access to that portion of the drain line which is where I'm guessing your clog is/was. If the problem returns I would think about renting a powered drain snake. Look very thoroughly out in the yard for a cleanout as pulling the toilet and snaking from there is messy no matter how careful you work.

Old 06-23-13, 05:44 PM
H
Unhappy

Well, even without running the clothes washer im still getting backups in the bathtub and also shower after snaking clothes washer drain. It was a powered one - but just cordless drill powered. But I got it a good ways down there.

I think Im gonna call the guys that do it for a living.

Old 06-24-13, 06:09 AM
H
So is this stuff called thrift any good? Should I give it a try before pulling commodes?

Old 06-24-13, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
this stuff called thrift any good

Chemicals do not typically work and are a waste of money...

Your clog is in the main from your description and pulling the toilet and snaking there is your bes option.

Ideally have a camera inspection done so you know what you are dealing with... Roots...pipe collapse...etc...