Leaks coming from 1st floor bathroom?

Old 06-25-13, 01:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaks coming from 1st floor bathroom?

I have just discovered what seems to be water streaks coming down underneath the paint in my basement. I suspect that has something to do with it location underneath my first floor toilet. On top, there was some foul smell when I entered into the basement but then I got used to it within 2 minutes. I am wondering if anybody else has seen something like that before... I am about to call a plumber but I would like to find out the source of the likely source of water/soiled water...

I discovered this morning so I will do more thorough inspection tonight. Hopefully, I will update here soon.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 05:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Yep, you have a leak. If you don't see a leak in the bathroom above it could be the wax ring that seals the toilet to the drain line. A leak there is often not visible except from below and for the smell.

Old 06-25-13, 06:29 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Tighten the hold down nuts on the toilet but just a few turns.

Old 06-27-13, 04:22 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be removing the toilet and replacing the wax ring. A simple DIY 101 $2.00 repair.
A whole lot cheaper then all the repairs that would be needed by letting this go on.

Old 06-27-13, 12:36 PM
C
Thanks to all that replied and shared their thoughts. In fact, it seems that my toilet tank gasket is broken and the water simply drips down through the tank bolt onto the floor which seeps into the subfloor through the crack where the tank water supply lines emerges. I haven't disassembled the tank from the toilet yet but I simply shut off the water supply and empty the tank. The situation is control even though the damage is done. I will definitely take apart the toilet on the weekend.

Thanks again for everything!

Old 06-27-13, 12:41 PM
C
See my update above. Thanks.