kayak cart

Old 06-25-13, 02:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kayak cart

I am making a kayak cart using the following design:
Palmetto Kayak Fishing: DIY Bulletproof Kayak Cart - Build Instructions + Pics

However, I can't find the end caps that I'm supposed to drill a 5/8" hole through and put the treaded rod/axle through that.

I've tried instead to put the PVC end pipe round the past of the wheel but it then turns inside the PVC pipe. Would grease sort that out? I'm worried that it will wear through the plastic after a while:

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 05:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
It looks like you are trying to slide your PVC pipe over the hub of the wheel. It can kinda, sorta work in the most crude of ways and grease will help but you are not making use of the bearing in the wheel's hub. Those end caps you need are somewhat commonly available but if you can't locate them you just need something that you can glue on the end and drill a hole in. If you still can't find something to cap that pipe what if you replaced the sanitary T fitting with a 90 degree elbow and drill your 5/8" hole in the side of it?

Old 06-25-13, 07:26 PM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
They're available in most big box stores -

1 in. PVC Slip Cap-447-010HC at The Home Depot

Shop Charlotte Pipe 5-Pack 1-in dia. PVC Sch 40 Cap at Lowes.com

Quick suggestion, order online, let them search for em', the store will e-mail you when
your order is ready...

Old 06-25-13, 11:58 PM
D
Coupleof questions:

the pipe I have is 40mm pipe so isn't that 1.5in?

If you drill the hole in the middle of the cap, then doesn't the cap bear all the weight of the canoe? The axle is 5/8in so a 40mm pipe is always going to have the axle suspended in the middle somewhere.

Old 06-26-13, 04:41 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Coupleof questions:

the pipe I have is 40mm pipe so isn't that 1.5in?

If you drill the hole in the middle of the cap, then doesn't the cap bear all the weight of the canoe? The axle is 5/8in so a 40mm pipe is always going to have the axle suspended in the middle somewhere.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm surprised you didn't go ABS. The stuff is cheap and available everywhere.

I've built a couple of these carriers for kayaks and canoes. Well, not using these exact plans, but same thing really.

The Axle I used was 1 piece and ran from tire to tire (as I'm assuming this one is). With end caps at both ends, and a short distance, both endcaps are supporting the weight of the boat. For on foot transport, this will be perfectly fine and be enough to support a canoe or kayak.
For the ones I made, the early versions was non-threaded rod with the ends threaded only. Dropped the cost down a fair bit. Later, I dropped the threading in favor for using cottar pins. This makes it easy to remove the wheels and transport the cart on or in the boat for.

Good luck and have fun.

I'll have pictures of my new cart if/when I ever get that project going again. Was a cart that would break down small enough to fit in the drywell in my kayak.

Old 06-26-13, 06:36 AM
D
I guess I'm just not confident or can't see how a bit of PVC with 2 holes that is glued onto the main pipe can support 75-100lbs of weight without cracking
Wouldn't it be better if the whole bottom length of pipe was just sitting on the axle?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sZLpLf8lxL...+assembled.JPG

Old 06-26-13, 08:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
First of all PVC pipe is not a structural material so you cart is just as likely to break somewhere else as it is at the two holes but yes, it would be better to support the axle along the full length of the tubing instead of the little bit of material in the drilled caps. If you are worried you can go without the end caps and slide a smaller section of pipe inside to take up some of the space and then let the axle rattle around a bit loose. You might need some 5/8" flat washers or fender washers to go between the PVC tubing and the wheel.

Old 06-26-13, 09:19 AM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DrGonzo_101
I guess I'm just not confident or can't see how a bit of PVC with 2 holes that is glued onto the main pipe can support 75-100lbs of weight without cracking
Material strength can be deceiving- Think of a folding chair supporting 250 lbs.

Years ago, I saw somebody along the Schuylkill River trail in Philadelphia with a brilliant setup.

Early morning, saw a guy pedaling a folding bicycle towards the headwaters, he was towing an open mini kayak behind using what looked like a folding pull-behind stroller.

About 3 hours later, saw the same guy, paddling down the river in the kayak, with the bike and stroller stowed fore and aft.

Old 06-26-13, 09:30 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
The PVC do it yourself carts are not super strong, but with the extra connections shown in the instructions, I'm sure it'll be fine. I'd keep your load under 75lb though. Would be nothing worse then hauling more weight and to find out that the rock you just went over was enough to break something in the middle of no where.

Relooking at the photos, those are some pretty heavy looking tires.