How to extend short CPVC stubs?


Old 06-26-13, 11:18 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 55
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to extend short CPVC stubs?


I'd like to switch out the cheap stop valves under our sinks and toilets for 1/4-turn ball valves. The stop valves are attached to CPVC stubs, and I already have replacement valves that glue directly to CPVC. The problem is that some of the stubs are quite short. I'll probably be able to cut off the existing valves and glue the new ones on, but if there is a problem down the road, there wouldn't be much room to make changes anymore.

I could attach a union and a piece of CPVC to give me more pipe to work with. Or I could glue a CPVC-to-MIP transition, screw on a FIP-to-CPVC transition, and then my stop valves, but that sounds a bit contrived.

Any other options/ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 12:19 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it is like 80% of the punches I have done, the bathroom and kitchen sink supplies that are CPVC are not fastened very well to the framing of the house. This makes for a weak pipe. Can you pull the stop valve out into the room at all? If so, you may be able to pull it enough to hold it with pliers until you can glue on the new one. That, or use a sharkbite stop valve.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: