Main Floor Drain Trap Clogged...

Old 06-27-13, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Floor Drain Trap Clogged...

Hello,

My house was built in 1955. I found out the hard way that the main floor drain in the basement was clogged.

I removed the bi-metal plug and cleared that with a snake. When that water cleared I could see down the trap that goes to the main drain.

It is clogged. The clog is probably sediment but is hard. A drill powered snake will not get through it. I poured some drain cleaner...tough stuff with concentrated sulfuric acid down there and it now drains SUPER slowly.

Is there some sort of plumber's tool that has more stiffness than a regular drain snake?

Does anyone have and ideas as to how I can get through that sediment and clear that trap?

Any feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tripper

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-13, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
You need to use a bigger snake. The hand held ones will not work well.

Drum type floor unit will be good, but dont use too thick of a cable. You still need to get past the trap. 1/4" should work well with the proper bit. Larger spade bit should work..

Also where protection. Eyes, arms...etc. That drain cleaner can splash and cause you harm...

Be careful please...

Old 06-27-13, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
1st stop using drain cleaners! They very rarely work and I consider them a hazard and waste of money. And after using them you're left with caustic chemicals to splash on you when you try to clear the clog.

At the minimum you can try to clear the clog with a rod which is a coil of stiff metal about 3/4" wide and each end usually has a different tip. It is stiff so you can apply pushing force to break up a clog but because of it's small size it often cannot remove the entire clog and just pokes a hole through. Better would be a proper powered snake. They type with an electric motor and much heavier spring coil and that can handle a larger cutter head than the hand held drill type.

Check outside your house for a cleanout or other access to the drain line. Best is to work from the downstream side so anything you break free from the clog gets washed away. Working from the up stream side is often more messy inside the house and everything the snake breaks free is pushed by gravity back to the clog so it can take a bit longer to get it cleared.

Old 06-27-13, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane,

You posted: 'At the minimum you can try to clear the clog with a rod which is a coil of stiff metal about 3/4" wide and each end usually has a different tip.'

Where can I get one of these rods. It sounds exactly what I need.

Tripper

Old 06-27-13, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
Where can I get one of these rods. It sounds exactly what I need.
If your going down the trap you will never get it through. If its the floor drain thats clogged snaking from anywhere else will be a waste of time..

Old 06-27-13, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
Drain cleaning rods are available online or from plumbing suppliers and some home centers. But, as Lawrosa mentioned it will never get past a trap. It needs to go in through a clean out.

Has the floor drain ever worked?

Do you know where it outlets? City sewer or to the surface somewhere outside?