Upstairs tub is draining to outside siding

Old 06-28-13, 03:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upstairs tub is draining to outside siding

I have an older home built in the mid '60's. For the last few weeks my tub/shower has been draining slowly. After several rounds of drano and other over-the-counter drain openers there was no real improvement. The other day I happened to be outside while someone was taking a shower upstairs and noticed a trickle of water flowing down the side of the first floor exterior wall. I have a foot and a half overhang and soffet that runs along the back of the house. Is it possible to gain access to interior plumbing by cutting into it. I have no other way to get to the drain pipes. HELP!!!! In the photograph the tub is located in the third window from the left. The leak is where the soffet trim has the small gap in it.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It may be the least obtrusive way to gain entry to the failed drain, so I say, remove the soffit in that area, see what is happening and make appropriate repairs to the plumbing. The soffit and other stuff is just pretty and can be fixed as you finish the job.

Old 06-28-13, 05:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Since you've used drain cleaners be careful working on the drain lines as the caustic chemicals (lye) are in the lines.

Generally I'd assume a clogged drain line but it sounds like you might have a broken pipe. Accessing it through the garrison soffit is probably the easiest access and easiest to repair. Without knowing anything else I'd look closely where the drain line meets the tub/shower as they can often leak but at this point it could be anything.

Old 06-28-13, 06:02 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drains and supply's should not be run along outside walls unless you live in the extreme south. Guess the plumber missed that class.

Old 06-28-13, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Drains and supply's should not be run along outside walls unless you live in the extreme south. Guess the plumber missed that class.

Joe its normal construction with the times... Plumber did not miss nothing. Well insulated.... Joe you need to reply better with info you are experienced in IMO, Your answers/responses have a lot to be desired...

To the OP... Yes you need yo go into the soffit for repair,,, Often in you style and year home its copper drain pipes.. Corrosion is common.

I would say brass trap is your issue... Change to PVC.
Let us know when you get it open....