How to vent basement bathroom?

Old 07-10-13, 06:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to vent basement bathroom?

I just bought a house about 6 months ago and I just started working downstairs.. When I took the exhaust fan out to install a new one I saw a capped off pipe in the ceiling come to find out it was the main vent stack so nothing in the bathroom is vented witch includes a jacuzzi a sink a shower and a toilet. I am wondering what the best way to do this would be? I can't run a pipe straight up to it because it is in the center of the room and everything that needs vented is around the outside. Is it acceptable to run pvc through the walls up into the ceiling to tie into this pipe? Because if the way the jousts Run i would have to run it all into The bulkhead and across to this pipe. My father inlaw is a plumber and said it was fine to do it that way but I really doubt his plumbing knowledge after the whole house water filter he had such a hard time installing.. It seemed pretty simple to me... So I'm just wondering if that is ok to do or is its bad idea

Old 07-11-13, 11:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 139 Posts
Just like the drain pipes need to always be going downward, vent pipes need to always go upward. So if you intend to run the new vent along the ceiling to the 1st floor wall, then up that wall out to the roof, yup, you should be good. There's no limit on the length of the vent, but it should be sloped at least 1/8" per foot (typically should be 1/4").

All the bathroom fixture vents can be tied together and run out a single 2" vent pipe. (2" is required because toilets require at least a 2" vent).

Let us know if you have any other questions and welcome to the forums!

Old 07-11-13, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You would need to show us what you see... I would want to know why there is a capped vent... Additionally that you mention that its a stack...

Since you say its capped I assume its PVC? That would mean a newer house and no way would it pass inspection...

Possibly its something else...

What size pipe?

Old 07-11-13, 12:06 PM
P
The house is about 13 years old and it's 2"PVC and it is defiantly the vent It goes straight into the attic and out the roof the original print for the house says rough in bathroom so I assume that is why it was capped

Old 07-11-13, 12:09 PM
P
I will try to post some pictures tonight thank you

Old 07-11-13, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know, Mike. Many newer homes with expandable basements here, have stubbed and capped vents for future installation, especially if the floor is stubbed for plumbing. All we have to do is vent up and over, and tie into it. You just have to be careful opening the cap It will be full of water. Similarly, there are electrical chases from the basement to the panel, capped off at each end for future pulls.

Pix would definitely help.

Old 07-11-13, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds like the bath is done already Larry.... I am wondering what its going to get tied too....???

Old 07-11-13, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mike, Yes, I did miss that tidbit. Not so much the vent being there, but not being used as a vent Wonder what or if it is vented to now?

Old 07-11-13, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Well If it goes up and out the roof OK... But if its piped under the slab correctly, and we dont know, then the wall to the sink needs to be busted open and tied in there. Add a tee to the sink arm...

The sink would be the vent for all other fixtures....( Again thats if its plumbed correctly)

This comment of main vent stack worries me...

I saw a capped off pipe in the ceiling come to find out it was the main vent stack

Old 07-11-13, 05:27 PM
P
Sorry I was wrong.. It's not a main vent line I wasn't thinking.. It is 1 of 4 2 inch pipes that all go into a 3 or 4 inch pipe in the attic and go out.. I am trying to upload pictures but no luck yet

Old 07-11-13, 05:38 PM
P
Name:  IMG_1388.jpg
Views: 17994
Size:  42.7 KBName:  IMG_2135.jpg
Views: 14742
Size:  25.5 KB

the one picture is my attempt at drawing what is in the bathroom and the other is the drain for the Jacuzzi going into the main drain.. as to the sink I traced the pipe and there is no vent on it.. it ties into another pipe coming down from upstairs and goes into the floor im assuming into the main drain line as well.. because I don't know what everything under the floor looks like would it be acceptable to vent the sink and the Jacuzzi and leave it at that or what would you recommend I do?

Old 07-11-13, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Nothing drains into the two pipes from upstairs in your drawing?

You said 4 pipes go upstairs, and you only show 3...

I could tell you one thing...whoever did this job needs to learn some plumbing... No offense if it was you or anyone you know...

When that basement was gutted all they needed to do was run one vent for that whole bath...

Probably does not matter but I am sure that job had no permit nor was inspected... Not sure how the house was sold like that...

Oh well... I can tell you tieing that capped line in will most likley result in nil results....

I could help you and show you how it should be but you need to give more pics, better drawing, and more information...

If a permit was takien out then there should be plan at the local inspection office at your municipality.

You may be able to sue the realtor and who ever and get some money back... This is from what I can see anyway..

You most likly will get trap siphoning and deadly sewer gas will release in the home... You can get sick or death can occur...

Am I sure??? No...( Cant see what you see) But just want to educate you on what can or will happen...

Old 07-11-13, 06:27 PM
P
The 4 pipes I was referring to are in the addic and are the vent pipes from all the bathrooms going into 1 to go out the roof.. each bathroom has 1 and there is 1 going to the sump pump i believe.. the sink ties into the drain line from the upstairs sink then goes into the main drain.. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.. And I am defiantly not an artist I can't draw at all..

Old 07-11-13, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
the sink ties into the drain line from the upstairs sink then goes into the main drain..

The sink in the down bath ties into the sink drain from upstairs?

Old 07-11-13, 06:58 PM
P
Name:  sink tie in.jpg
Views: 30337
Size:  20.7 KB

yes.. this is a picture of where the bathroom sink drains into the drain from the upstairs sink and goes down into the floor where I am assuming it goes into the main drain line

Old 07-11-13, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
First of all thats a wet vent and is illegal... Second thats a 2 " line from upstairs sink going into a 1 1/2 line from the bottom of the tee. Plus the 1 1/2 from the downstairs sink... That is illegal and not to code...

So two strikes on this part of the bath alone...

Can it be fixed??? Well sure for a price... You just bought the home?

Im trying to help is why I ask how you bought it with the bath in this condition... I would have asked 20k at least off the price of the home... Basically you would need to jackhammer everything up and start over unless you can verify whats under the floor...

How did they even give a C.O.????

We can continue to the pipe that runs behind the tub if you like... What drains into that pipe that goes upstairs, if anything, and where does that pipe go???

Then we can talk about the shower piping....

Last we can try to guess where the 2" vent for the toilet hooks to under the slab...

Sorry to sound harsh but seeing plumbing like this really rubs me the wrong way...

Old 07-11-13, 07:15 PM
P
It goes back into a 2 inch about 3 inches down from that pic I was going to take the 1.5 inch out and put 2" the whole way I'm unsure why they put the 1.5 inch in because its only about a 3" peice then Otha's another adaptor back to a 2" and I understand the frustration I bought the house as a forclosure and have been very frustrated with the whole downstairs I'm just trying to fix it..

Old 07-11-13, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
And to ask a silly question.... Apparently something is wrong...

Why are the walls open in ares and the floor jack hammered????

I assume you bought the house as is and you are responsible for the C.O.????

Old 07-11-13, 07:22 PM
P
No I cut the wall open and jackhammerd the hole to trace the pipes after I found the capped vent in the ceiling it was all put together and appeared to be in good order when I bought it the inspector found no issues with the plumbing I found this out just the other week

Old 07-11-13, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
If the inspector found no issues...now I guess he will that is all opened...

Finding that capped vent was your find? Should of left it all alone... Dont know why jack hammering the trap would have anything to do with that capped vent....That vent really means nil....

Dont know your game plan and what your telling me is fact or not but you have some choices... It all depends on whats getting inspected....

Are you flipping the house???

May be best to take all the fixtures out and just jackhammer where the pipes tie to the main. Cap them and terminate that bath...

Or jackhammer all plumbing and start over....

Thinking though you can fix that sink wet vent with that capped vent maybe... That 1 1/2 3" piece you say just looks like a coupling. Dont look like it goes back to 2".... But if you fix that then you tie that capped vent into that downstairs sink arm with a Y.... That should fix that...

Now you need to figure where is the toilet, shower, and tub vents...

Old 07-11-13, 08:03 PM
P
No me and my family are living in it. And I ment the home inspector when we bought the house I haven't looked into the shower yet and the jacuzzi has no vent I was thinking if I came out right past the p-trap it would bring it up inside the shell that goes around it and I could take it through the ell into the ceiling... Does each fixture need its own vent or if I vent the jacuzzi and the sink will that be enough? I want to do it right while I already have it torn apart rather then run into problems down the road but I would really like to avoid jack hammering the whole floor if at all possinle

Old 07-11-13, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
A home inspector is not an inspector...

Do you have a C.O.?

Do you need to get this inspected?

Old 07-11-13, 08:14 PM
P
I don't know what a c.o. Is but no I do not need to have it inspected

Old 07-11-13, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
certificate of occupancy......

The trouble you will have is trap siponing and sewer gas may be released in the home from lack of proper vents....

I will need to look at your drawing and add comments on what to fix or think you can fix properly...

Old 07-11-13, 08:29 PM
P
I would very much appreciate it.. If I'm unable to do it I will have to hire someone but I am really tight on money since buying the house so I would like to do it myself or as much as possible by myself

Old 07-11-13, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Children in the home?....id be concerned more with them with sewer gas because of the developmental stage....

Show me that 1 1/2 turns back to 2"... You must fix this.... If it goes down to the slab, which I think it does you will need to hammer and fix....

Old 07-11-13, 09:36 PM
P
Name:  sink tie in 2.jpg
Views: 15333
Size:  25.4 KB

this is where it goes back into a 2 inch.. and yes I have a 1 and a half year old daughter.. I really have had no problems with it I filled the upstairs bathtub and when it was full I pulled the plug and flushed the toilet and there was very little movement in the p-trap in the shower... I am not sure about the Jacuzzi because I cant see the trap because of the way the drain comes out before the trap.. I just want to fix it all before I have any problems

Old 07-11-13, 09:48 PM
P
Do I need to make the sink drain a 2" also?

Old 07-12-13, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Fix the 1 1/2.... Then run that vent to the arm... Make sure that vent have nothing feeding it from upstairs... ( Which I doubt)

Yes change the sink and all to 2". When you make the turn with the ell to stub out you can use a 2 x 1 1/2 ell or put a bushing in one end of the 2" ell.

Where does that pipe go behind the tub? Does anything feed into that from upstairs???

Do you see anything else that will help me help you?

Name:  IMG_2135.jpg
Views: 13856
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 07-12-13, 10:57 AM
P
The pipe behind the tub is the drain from the kitchen sink.. That is all I can see as of now

Old 07-12-13, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
In post 15 you said that a sink drains into the down sink too....

So kitchen on one and a bath sink on the other?

Old 07-12-13, 01:19 PM
P
Correct. The kitchen sink is the one behind the jacuzzi and the upstairs bathroom sink is the one the downstairs sing goes into

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: