Advice on city shutoff

Old 07-18-13, 01:41 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on city shutoff

I am trying to temporarily shut off my city water valve using a Home Depot steel curb keys. It would not budge going clock wise. I sprayed some WD-40 on there. Still no luck. Any suggestions?
Name:  just-valve.jpg
Views: 4767
Size:  47.9 KBName:  all.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  34.7 KB
Orbit 28 in. Steel Curb Key-53246 at The Home Depot

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-13, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Check and make sure there isn't any debris stopping the movement. PB Blaster or CRC might work better than WD 40. If nothing works you can call the utility and see if it's a service they provide.

Old 07-18-13, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I would call the town.... That is their valve.... You may be held liable if something happens...

They may change it since it does not turn...

Old 07-18-13, 03:06 PM
A
Also what are those holes for and why are there 2 of those flat plates that stick out? When I get it to turn will the bottom plate stay in place or move with the top plate?

And is clockwise the way to go? My understanding is that it should turn approximately 180 degrees.

Old 07-18-13, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
The hole is for when the town turns you water off for lack of funds... They then put a lock on your meter when they turn it off....... No water for you.....////

Old 07-18-13, 03:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Those 2 holes are so they can padlock the meter if you refuse to pay your bill. Unless I'm mistaken, the valve only turns about 90 degrees.

Old 07-18-13, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The holes are for a seal/lock so that they can cut off the water and know if someone illegally turned it on.

It only turns 90 degrees to shut off...just til the plates line up.

Btw...WD40 has it's uses...but breaking rusted connections isn't one of them. PB Blaster is better.

I'd call the city....they have bigger tools and once it's broken free or replaced...you'll be fine with a shot of WD to keep it that way.

Old 07-18-13, 07:11 PM
A
OK. I'm gonna give PB Blaster a shot and try one more time.
When plumbers try to turn these tough to turn valves do they ever use two people or attach some pipes to the T to get more leverage? I put my arm pit over the T to get more leverage.

Old 07-18-13, 09:45 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
That is what is called a plug valve. The "plug" (the part that turns) is tapered and fits into a tapered hole in the valve body. The plug is held in the body by a nut and washer that is on the bottom of the valve.

I suggest that you excavate some more dirt until you can access the bottom of the valve. Once you do that you can loosen, NOT REMOVE, the nut slightly to allow the plug to move more readily. DO NOT REMOVE THE NUT BECAUSE THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THE PLUG WILL BE RELEASED AND YOU WILL HAVE A GEYSER OF WATER THAT YOU CANNOT SHUT OFF! Once you move the valve to the off position snug the nut up just enough to stop any leakage.

Understand that this plug valve does belong to the water utility and if you damage it you will be held responsible and the cost of repairs may be into three figures. Calling the utility may be the best because if they break it they have to repair it on their dime. Even if you have to pay a fee for the turn off and turn on you could be ahead. You should have your own shut off valve downstream of the meter, in or near the house.

Old 07-18-13, 10:30 PM
A
I have a shutoff for the inside of the house, but I can find no shut off for the outdoor system. I have a simple faucet that I need to replace.

Old 07-19-13, 12:00 AM
F
Do you know where the outside valves connect to the incoming water supply? You really do need a shut-off apart from the one at the meter.

Old 07-19-13, 01:58 AM
A
Yeah I do need a shut off for the outside system.

Old 07-19-13, 08:44 PM
A
Tried that Blaster stuff. No luck. I am thinking about buying a couple of galvanized pipes to increase leverage on both sides of this T-shaped key. Do plumbers ever do this?

Old 07-19-13, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
I am thinking about buying a couple of galvanized pipes to increase leverage on both sides of this T-shaped key. Do plumbers ever do this?
No or rarely>>>>>> ( If I have a valve up stream I do sometimes....)

I know what it cost when I break something the township owns.... Done it.... This is why I say call the town... Its their valve... Dont be foolish....

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-20-13 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-20-13, 12:10 AM
F
I guess you have decided to ignore the procedure I outlined in post #9.

I agree with Mike, call the water utility. Even if it costs you eighty dollars to get it turned off and then on again it will be peanuts compared to the cost of the utility billing you for a valve replacement when YOU break it.

Old 07-20-13, 04:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I also agree!! While I'd rather do something myself than wait on someone else to get to it - I would not want to have to pay the utility to fix it after I broke it ..... not to mention you'd probably be without water until they got it fixed If the valve is that hard to turn there is an obstruction, either on the outside or inside of the valve!!

Old 07-20-13, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Additionally you should not need to turn off the valve....Your outside house bibs may be connected separate from the city water... They may be on a well... Is there a pump/tank in the home somewhere?

This often happens when people get hooked to city water... They retain the well for irrigation..

Electric to run the pump is way cheaper then what the utility charges for water....

I feel you need to look around better and /or give us better info...

Oh here is what happens when you break the citys valve... which I did...A little different but similar..

Water Service Slideshow by lawrosa | Photobucket

Old 07-25-13, 08:25 PM
A
Wow. I sent the city an email and they replaced it a day later!
I would post the pic of it but this site is saying that the pic is too large. Would you expect that to turn the water off I would need to turn the top lever clock wise a 1/4 turn?
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0f2428c0.jpg

Old 07-25-13, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Wow. I sent the city an email and they replaced it a day later!
They need to get paid to do something... ha ha

Told you....LOL...

Yes turn 1/4 turn clockwise off....