Water seepage in basement

Old 07-22-13, 10:50 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have water seepage in the basement after a heavy rain. The downspouts go to underground drainage to storm sewers. The wall where the seepage occurs is below a patio which would make digging very expensive. The building dates back to the mid-70s. I expect the tiles around the building are crumbling with water backing up and finding relief through the joint of the floor and wall. I am thinking that a sealer of some kind on the joint would be the least expensive way to handle the problem. I don't think the water is coming from excessive water on the outside, but it is coming from the gutter drains. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-13, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Which tiles do you think have crumbled? the foundation drain? or the tile that pipes away the gutter drain? if the latter, rerouting new pipe might be a cheaper alternative to direct replacement.

Old 07-22-13, 01:47 PM
The leak may be due the general level of the ground water around and under the house. The wet area inside is not necessarily where the leak is, but where it shows up on the inside. If that spot is sealed/plugged, the water will just come in at a diffrerent location eventually.

You actually do have a problem situation if you have your downspout connected to the drain tile around the house and it is not recommended. The problem is that the downspouts can carry a lot of debris over time (roofing granules, leaves, pine needles, acorns, etc.). The sudden unrush of rain water from the roof can back up into the drain tile that will only drain after the storm passes. Drain tile systems do not see the water quickly(usually many hours or days after a storm) because the moisture has to drain through the soil and may not flush all the debris deposited from the roof drainage.

Do you have any access to you drain tile system to see what the situation is.

Dick

Old 07-22-13, 06:13 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
For a first solution, I would use some extra downspouts or some PVC pipe to redirect the gutters away from the house. My guess is that will likely resolve your issues. You can then decide how to handle it from that point.

Old 07-24-13, 10:19 AM
W

Downspouts are directed away from building and not to foundation drains. By the way, house is really a town home with 5 other town homes in the building all of which are 3 levels including the basement. My home is an end unit and the seepage is occurring on the corner of the building in the rear. I am told the drainage tiles surround the building and are piped to the storm sewers in the front of the building. My concern is that the water is building up at the corner where there may be broken tiles or debris blocking the flow. There is a concrete patio and electrical entries on the corner. In additon, there is a window well a few feet before the corner on the rear. All units have sump pumps in the basements on the front side of the building. I have never heard my pump ever run and it does work. I am considering caulking the the rear side of my unit where the pation and wall meets. I am also considering caulking the basement floor/wall on the rear side where the seepage is occurring. Any thoughts on products to use? Or anything else?