Water in toilet bowl does not flush away

Old 02-15-01, 02:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Because a toilet was 'running' I turned off the water supply at the valve. A couple of weeks later a handyman installed a complete new kit inside the tank. When the lever is depressed the water drains into the toilet bowl and there is turbulence but it never really flushes away. I had a plumber in to investigate. He said the new kit in the tank was working; confirmed that the toilet was not blocked up; but couldn't explain to me why even one sheet of toilet paper would not flush away. He said that he had never encountered this before. His only suggestion was to have a new toilet and tank installed. Is this logical? If there is no blockage, why won't the toilet flush?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-01, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
This problem sometimes happens when there is a partial blockage somewhere between the toilet and the sewer.
The toilet appears to flush but the pressure is not enough to flush away solids.

Old 02-15-01, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean out the flush ring, found below the rim of the toilet, and clean the blow hole, found at the bottom of the toilet

Old 02-15-01, 10:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
See the diagram below for the rim openings (flush ring Plumber 2000 was referring to)

Take a coat hanger, and bend it at a 90 angle and run it around in each rim opening. Use a mirror to find the openings.