Hose Bib Noise When Water is Running

Old 07-23-13, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hose Bib Noise When Water is Running

Hi Forum,

I'm having a problem with my rear hose bib making noise when the water is on. I would describe the noise as a vibration sound and is only heard from inside the house. There is an access panel in the finished basement right at the bib. When I opened the panel and touched the pipe elbow while the water was running and I didn't feel any vibrations or sense any movement of the pipe. The pipe travels up the wall and across the ceiling into an unfinished utility room where the shut off valve is located. Lots of spaces where the noise could be occurring (I fear). As I listen to the noise from my basement and the living room above. I believe the noise is near the bib and not near the utility room.

I'm wondering if the bib pipe is not as well insulated from the (concrete) exterior wall it passes through. Would some plumbers putty in the wall where the bib pipe enters the exterior wall help any (assuming this is cause of the noise)?

What else should I be checking as the cause of the noise?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Regards,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-13, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Does it do it at all openings of the valve? Could be as simple as you need a new washer. The screws have a tendency to corrode and over time the washer can just break down and cause a rattle. Does it only do it with a sprinkler or something else that limits flow attached?

You could try stuffing some foam pipe insulation in around the pipe, but better to find the cause than address the symptoms.

Old 07-24-13, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Gunguy45,

Thanks for the reply.

It does make noise any time the water is running and I believe it is slightly louder when the hose is connected to a sprinkler vs. when there is nothing that limits the flow. I also listened real hard and did hear a noise while outside (my initial post was incorrect about only hearing it from inside the house), I also now believe the noise is coming from very near the valve.

Regards,
Andy